Monday, February 15, 2016

PENSACON: PENSACOLA COMIC CON (February 19-21)

Even if I weren’t going to Florida in the middle of a freezing Ohio winter, I would be excited about being a guest at Pensacon aka the Pensacola Comic Con. The convention is so big it’s spread over four different locations. The guest list is amazing. The show dates are Friday, February 19 through Sunday, February 21. For show hours and event locations, visit the Pensacon website.

It appears I’ll be spending most of my time at the Pensacola Bay Center, 201 E Gregory St, Pensacola, FL 32502. The convention site has this information:

The Pensacola Bay Center is a 10,000-seat arena with over 20,000 square feet of exhibition space and 12 versatile meeting rooms with 13,000 square feet of meeting space. The Pensacola Bay Center continues to be one of the busiest facilities in Florida. Recently, the venue was ranked #1 in Florida and #16 in the world for ticket sales for locations with seating capacities between 5,001 – 10,000.

At the Bay Center, badge holders can visit the vendor floor, meet  guests for autographs and photos and attend panels and workshops.

Friday, February 19, 2016:  1:00 pm – 8:00 pm

Saturday, February 20, 2016:  10:00 am – 6:00 pm

Sunday, February 21, 2016:  10:00 am – 6:00 pm 

I’m scheduled to appear on two panels at the present time, though I’ll make myself available to be drafted for other panels if anyone asks me to be on them and they interest me. I’ll likely attend the panels that interest me, even if I’m not invited to participate on them. My scheduled panels are:

Saturday, February 20 (1 pm): THE STORY CRAFT OF COMIC BOOKS. Also on that panels are Ryan Patel, Victor Gischler, Barry Gregory, Mike Grell and Kelly Yates.

Sunday, February 21 (4:45 pm): WRITING FOR NOVELS VS. COMIC BOOKS. Also on that panel: Chris “Kiku” Kubiak, Nancy A. Collins, Victor Gischler and Rikki Simons, all of whom have doubtless written more novels than I have.

I don’t know where I’ll be set up for autographs and photos. I am willing to sign anything I’ve written and most items that have my name on it. There are exceptions, but fewer of them as I get older and more forgiving. If there’s a line and you have more than five items for me to sign, I’ll sign the first five and then ask you to go to the back of the line. If you’re patient, I’ll sign everything you want me to sign...and without charge.

I’ll happy to pose for photos with fans, cosplayers and guests. All I ask is that you send me the photo via e-mail with permission to use it in a future bloggy thing or on my Facebook page. There is no charge for photos.

I’m also happy to answer your questions about comics and my career in comics and just about everything else. Please understand that I cannot discuss the ongoing discussions between DC Comics and my own legal representative...or any concluded discussions between myself and other comics publishers. I can only tell you what I will tell you here: I am happy with my relationship with Marvel Comics and I am optimistic I will be happy with my relationship with DC Comics.

Wherever I’m set up for autographs and photos, I’ll do my best to be there as much as possible...and also to post when I’ll be back from breaks and panels and other things. Hey, there are guests I’d like to meet as well. Including some I’ll probably be too shy to go up to. We’ll get to them in a moment.

If you would like to conduct an interview with me or have me appear on your podcast or other online show, I can accommodate you. If you contact me in advance via e-mail so I know what I’m getting into.

Other convention events will be held at the Crowne Plaza Pensacola Grand (right next door to the Bay Center), the Rex Theater and the Saenger Theatre. There are some after-hours events. Badge holders will be able to ride a free trolley to and fro. I may show up at a few of these, depending on whether I’m hanging out with old friends or new friends.

About that guest list...

I’m looking forward to seeing friends like Mike Grell, Dave Dorman and Bob McLeod. I’m excited about meeting Facebook friend Nancy A. Collins for the first time. I will pay my respects to Sensei Neal Adams, who has taught so much to all of us in the comics industry. I’m always thrilled to meet other comics fans and professional on account of you are my people.

Then we get to the celebrity guests I would love to meet, but will be too shy to approach: Denise Crosby, who I especially loved in Key West; Michael Dorn because who wouldn’t to spend some time with Michael Dorn; Amber Benson because who wouldn’t want to spend some time with Amber Benson; Basil Gogos, who painted the best monster covers of all time; J. August Richards, whose Gunn and Deathlok are two of my favorite TV characters; Bruce Boxleitner, because I would follow his John Sheridan into any battle any time; and the wondrous Claudia Christian, whose Susan Ivanova was my favorite character on Babylon 5, the greatest science fiction series of all time. There are lots of other great guests as well, but you’ll have to go the Pensacon website to see them because I’ve embarrassed myself quite enough for one blog.

Pensacon, here I come!

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment