Friday, March 2, 2012

REALITY SOMEDAY

"We stand by Life with Archie #16. As I’ve said before, Riverdale
is a safe, welcoming place that does not judge anyone. It’s an
idealized version of America that will hopefully become reality
someday. We’re sorry the American Family Association/One Million
Moms feels so negatively about our product, but they have every
right to their opinion, just like we have the right to stand by
ours. Kevin Keller will forever be a part of Riverdale, and he will
live a happy, long life free of prejudice, hate and narrow-minded
people.”


John Goldwater, co-CEO of Archie Comics, released that statement in
response to One Million Moms targeting Toys ‘R’ Us for selling Life
With Archie in its stores.  It is one of the very few times in the
past forty years that a comics industry executive has made me feel
proud to be even a small part of that industry.

One Million Moms, whose membership doesn’t come close to its name,
is part of the American Family Association.  The AFA is a virulent,
extreme right-wing organization known for spreading misinformation.
The Southern Poverty Law Center considers it a hate group and it’s
an assessment with which I agree.

When I first saw this story on Heidi MacDonald’s The Beat, I posted
this comment:

I’ve watched my kids and their friends grow from pre-school and
kindergarten to high school and college. One of the things that
gives me hope in these dark days of continued right-wing bigotry is
how most of these kids have overcome the prejudices of their
parents and embraced diversity in their peers. The bigots will,
eventually, be relegated to the dustbin of history. Our kids are
better than we are and that gives me hope.


I posted the comment in a few other places as well.  Naturally, it
wasn’t long before intolerant crybabies began to bitch about being
called bigots and make their tiresome false equivalency statements
about having a right to their noxious opinions.  Which, of course,
absolutely no one was challenging.

Bigots, you’ve the right to cling to even the most ill-informed and
offensive opinions.  Heck, you have the right not to marry someone
of the same sex and to not allow same-sex couples to marry in your
churches.  No one questions that.  Revel in your ignorance.  It’s
your right.

However, you shouldn’t have the right to tell fellow citizens that
they can’t enjoy the same marriage rights you enjoy.  Such rights
should not be subject to a vote.  They are among those inalienable
rights you claim to hold dear and so often don’t.

I’m proud of Archie Comics and every one involved in the production
of Life With Archie.  I’m proud of the fans and professionals who
have stepped forward to stand with Archie Comics and those of our
fellow citizens who’ve been denied their basic human rights far too
long.  I’m proud to know you and to stand with you.

You are the America I believe in.  You’re the America I want for my
children and grandchildren.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

© 2012 Tony Isabella

10 comments:

  1. And we're proud to have you standing with us, Tony! Thanks for your continuing support.
    PK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do so many organizations with "Family" in their names have the least family-friendly attitudes imaginable?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Tony. It is very reaffirming to hear a CEO of a comics company defend their product. It is, of course, a product that should need no defense. I grew up as a reader of Archie comics in the late 1960's and 70's. Their ability to change with the times has always been one of the reasons I loved the Riverdale gang. Today, I find that the Archie titles are one of the few that I still feel is worth picking up from my local book store. I have to pick them up from the bookstore as none of my local comic shops carry Archies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent post -- I must confess, when I first read Goldwater's response, I got weepy. An America we want to be part of, indeed! Keep 'em flying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob Ingersoll: Because the AFA and its ilk are stuck in a lost era that they think we as a society should still be a part of. They don't want to move forward.

    In the 21st century, society as we know it has progressed to the point of being more permissive about immoralities, which angers the zealots, which in turn prompts the usual bashing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hobbyfan...There's nothing immoral about same-sex marriage. What you call "permissive," I call "maturing."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Late Night FerengiMarch 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

    I agree with you Tony. I don't think there should be any laws against it. 100 years from now people will be laughing at how primative we were in the early 21st Century. When we have so many people without health care and jobs, the whole marriage issue shouldn't be an issue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Way to go Tony. I am sick and tired of some people trying to impose on us their way of life and trying to tell us their way is the only way. Also, I love Archie Comics and especially adore it now because the "big guy" spoke up!! YAAAAA!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One Million Moms is a little tardy, anyhow. Last weekend, I bought the NEXT issue of Life With Archie, so the one they're so hot under the collar about is already gone. Silly Moms.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nothing gives me a bigger "laugh so I do not cry" feeling than the tired old "you're being intolerant of my intolerance!" argument. Haven't these crybabies ever heard of "If you can't take it, don't dish it out?"

    ReplyDelete