Sunday, March 17, 2013

SUNDAY IN THE BLOG WITH TARZAN

That’s Lex Barker on the cover of Tarzan #29 [Dell; February 1952].
Barker (May 8, 1919 – May 11, 1973) was the tenth actor to play the
Lord of the Jungle in the movies and appeared in five of the films.

“Tarzan Tracks a Robber Band” (24 pages) is the lead story.  It was
written by Gaylord DuBois and drawn by Jesse Marsh.  The duo also
produced the issue’s “Brothers of the Spear” episode (5.5 pages).
As is often the case, this information comes to me via the wondrous
Grand Comics Database

Though I’ve never read Tarzan #29, I will be revisiting the issue
in the near future.  The Tarzan story has been reprinted in Edgar
Rice Burroughs' Tarzan: The Jesse Marsh Years
#6 from Dark Horse.
The “Brothers of the Spear” episode has been reprinted in Brothers
of the Spear Archives
#1, likewise from Dark Horse.  Courtesy of an
Amazon gift card sent to me by a bloggy thing reader, the former is
on order.  The latter book is already part of my still-growing Vast
Accumulation of Stuff. 

Keep watching this bloggy thing for more vintage comic-book covers
from my December 1951 birth month.  I have about two dozen of those
to write about before moving on to another pivotal month in my comic-
book life.  Anyone want to guess which month?

******************************

I’m still in “short form” mode here at the bloggy thing.  I picked
up some assignments - nothing I can write about - and am launching
a new weekly column on another website. I’m hoping to be back up to
speed in time for Wednesday’s Rawhide Kid Wednesday and thereafter.

In other Isabella news...my first convention appearance of the year
will be Tricon, the Tri-State Comic Convention.  That takes place
on Saturday, April 6, at the Big Sandy Superstore Arena, One Civic
Center Plaza in Huntington, WV. The event runs from 10 am to 6 pm,
though there are VIP and Early Bird packages that will allow fans
to enter the convention at 9 am and 9:30 am, respectively. Check
out the show’s website for guest and other information.

I’m still working on the schedule for this summer’s garage sales at
my Medina home.  Depending on how the rest of March goes, the first
garage sale could be as early as Friday and Saturday, April 19 and
20 and from 9 am to 2 pm.  Don’t consider those dates and times as
definite. I don’t want to start the sales until I’m certain I can
have a vast selection of cool stuff for my customers. 

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

© 2013 Tony Isabella

2 comments:

  1. Have a great time in Huntington, Tony! I lived there for 10 years, first as a student at Marshall University and then as a school teacher. I still have a comics-loving friend who may very well pop in to the con. They have a very long-lasting comics shop, Comic World, whose owner was featured in one of Harvey Pekar's last works, "On the Fly."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael Kelly SchurmanMarch 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM

    As an occasional fan of long standing, I feel moderately qualified to make a guess as to the next month you will tackle when you've completed your birth-month project.

    I'm tuning in to the cosmic comics energy pathways, trying to find the entrance ramp to the specific metaphysial freeway between the heart of Texas and Medina, Ohio -- there it is -- oh, no, missed it -- there's another --oops, damn!

    It's difficult. There's so many republicans surrounding the focal centers of both destination and point of orgin. You know how those people muck up the natural energy of the universe...wait! There it is, now I've got it --

    You'll next concentrate on comics released in the summer of 1963, July probably.

    ReplyDelete