Sunday, August 16, 2020

WHAT IF THEY GAVE A GARAGE SALE...

...and nobody came.

That happened on Friday, August 14. Not a single customer came to my Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale that morning. The sale was fully restocked. I was hoping for a good morning. Instead, I spent the three hours between 9 am and noon reading magazines and looking to see if there were any signs of life on Damon Drive in Medina, Ohio. Honestly, I don’t think I saw more than a dozen cars or trucks on the street.

Saturday, August 15, was much better. However, between Saturday and the appointment shoppers earlier in the week, I only managed to do 37% of my usual modest goal. I can put in place all the virus precautions I want, but there are clearly a great many fans who won’t come to a garage sale in these pandemic times.

I’m trying something a little different this coming week. I'll be scheduling one-on-one appointments from Tuesday, August 18, to Friday, August 21. I’m only planning to schedule two appointments a day, but I will be flexible if fans are coming from outside the area to shop the sales. I’m willing to schedule appointments from 8 am to 7 pm. If you’d like to schedule an appointment, e-mail me. I’ll get back to you as soon as possible.

I will have two open-to-the-public garage sales on Saturday, August 22. I’m splitting this up into two sessions. The morning session is 9-11 am and the afternoon session is 3-5 pm. All the previous rules for the public sales apply: masks, social distancing, only two shoppers at a time. But I probably won’t have signs spelling them out because one of my kids say they were intimidating.

If you want to see “intimidating,” you could watch me lose my shit when a moron tells me Trump has to destroy the United States Postal Service to prevent voter fraud and that, if Biden win, I will lose my house. That actually happened this weekend. The stupidity, it burns.

My preparation for this week’s sales will follow the usual pattern. Every day, in between writing and errands, I go through my numerous boxes of stuff in search of new and exciting items for the sales. I’ll make more mystery boxes. I’ll probably rethink some of my displays with an eye towards being able to put even more great stuff into the sales.

Beyond the garage sales, my main goal for the week is to get back to nigh-daily blogging and to post the birthdays, historical notes and remembrances I have been neglecting this month. I should also get around to scheduling all the medical and other appointments I have put off too long. No big concerns there, just things I need to check off my “to do” list.

That’s all for today. Much more interesting stuff tomorrow.

© 2020 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment