Tuesday, July 30, 2024

EVEN MORE ON G-FEST XXIX

 



After a much-longer-than-expect gap due to my working on my garage sales, here’s the conclusion of my G-Fest XXIX report. Yes, I know the lettering on my badge sucks. Next year, I’ll print out my name and tape it to the badge.

First up on Sunday was what turned out to be the most disappointing G-Fest presentation I have ever attended. Because “When Dinosaurs Ruled the Comics” turned out to be the most ill-informed discussion of its subject matter. I got my first clue when they showed a slide of Gold Key’s Turok Son of Stone and credited the creation of this title to...Joe Kubert. I almost jumped out of my seat and screamed at them, but my son Eddie made me relax.

It quickly became clear that the only dinosaur comics going to be discussed were comics from the 1990s and later. “The War That Time Forgot” was never mentioned. No 1960s dinosaur-themed covers from publishers like DC Comics and ACG were shown. The panelists didn’t do even a modicum of research on their subject. Indeed, when they showed one of Kubert’s later-day Tor mini-series, it was clear they had no clue Joe had been doing Tor stories since the 1950s.

I freely admit the panel did showcase some excellent comics during the presentation, but much of their focus was on the goriest dino comics they could find. I thought about taking notes on some of the other titles, but decided I would do my research on such dinosaur comics elsewhere. Chalk that up to a complete lack of confidence in the panelists.

Later in the day, I put forth the idea of doing a “When Dinosaurs Really Ruled the Comics” presentation for G-Fest 2025. I think that will happen. I think it’ll be a lot of fun.

                                                                                          



From there, Eddie and I went to the autograph area where we bought copies of Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again from translator Jeffrey Angles. I plan to start reading my G-Fest comics and books within the next few days.

I also hit the “Kaiju Island” vendors area where I purchased a cool Godzilla hat and an even cooler Godzilla t-shirt. I’ll try to take some photos of being wearing them soon.

While Eddie went “off campus” for more Italian beef sandwiches, I grabbed a “Minya Burger” from the G-Fest fast food set-up. It was okay, not good enough for the price. I wil find better options for the next G-Fest.

The last G-Fest presentation I attended was the always entertaining “Kaiju Konfessions,” hosted by the irrepressible Stan Hyde. It was a warm and wonderful way to end our G-Fest weekend. Joining in for original parody songs and tunes from classic monster movies. Save the Earth!

For dinner, Eddie and I went to a Giordano’s just a short distance from our hotel. I’m not a fan of deep dish pizza, so I ordered and loved a “tavern-style” thin crust pizza. Eddie had another Italian beef sandwich. It was a fine meal.

We relaxed in our hotel room afterwards, planning an early start to our drive back to Medina. It was uneventful. Which is an excellent thing for a drive home.

During G-Fest and during the drives to and from the convention,  Ed had to deal with a great many work phone calls and situations. It was a proud papa thing as I saw just how good my son is at his job.  He dismissed my praise as “just doing his job,” but I was impressed by how he could keep track of multiple situations without missing a beat. Sorry, kid, your Dad is proud of you.

Some final thoughts:

I’m eager to start reading the several books and graphic novels I purchased at G-Fest. First up: Godzilla and Godzilla Raids Again by Shigeru Kayama as translated by Jeffrey Angles.

                                                                                 



Besides my “When Dinosaurs Really Ruled the Comics” presentation, I am seriously considering doing a second presentation, this one on Gorgo, Konga and Reptilicus/Reptisaurus. The original movies. The sleazy novelizations. The classic Charlton comic. These distant cousins of Godzilla deserve some love, too.

Much better planning on my part is a must for next year’s G-Fest. I need to make sure I get a hotel room that works for me, go “off-campus” for my meals and, most importantly, plan in advance to get together with friends. There were too many friends I didn’t get to see this year. That’s my main regret from the weekend.

My next convention will be the 2024 NEO ComicCon, Sunday, August 4, from 10 am to 4 pm at the North Olmsted Soccer Sportsplex, 31515 Lorain Road in North Olmsted, Ohio. I’ll be set up at the front of Field 2 next to Angel Medina and Darryl Banks. There will be lots of other great guests and vendors there, so I urge you to come to the event. Visit the NEO Comicon website for more information.

Thanks for stopping by the old bloggy thing today. I will be back soon with more stuff.

© 2024 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment