Thursday, May 30, 2019

MY FIRST GARAGE SALE OF 2019 IS BUT ONE DAY AWAY

My first Vast Accumulation of Stuff Garage Sale of the summer will be held tomorrow, Friday, May 31 and Saturday, June 1, at 840 Damon Drive in Medina, Ohio. The photos you see scattered around today’s bloggy thing were taken around noon yesterday. The garage sale is looking much better this morning, though I still have a lot of work to do before I open the doors on Friday morning.

The sale hours are 9 am to 1 pm each day. I don’t throw anyone out if they’re still shopping and buying at closing time. That said, I may push you along tomorrow because, after the garage sale, I’ll be seeing Godzilla, King of the Monsters with my son Ed.

I have so much stuff that it’s impossible to get it all into just one garage. Looking around the garage this morning, there are only a couple of $10 mystery boxes, though I hope to put together a few more today. I’ll be working on these boxes daily, so you can expect to find them at every one of my nigh-weekly sales.

I found a box of Marvel and DC role-playing games from back in the day. I expect they will go fast.
                                                                          

I haven’t yet put together the boxes of hardcovers and trades, but there will be several of them. You definitely want to check those out. More will be added every week.

The boxes of higher priced old comic books have amazing bargains in them. I’m hesitant to let some of them go, especially those Silver and Bronze Age issues of Lois Lane. But the idea is to sell stuff quickly and I’ve priced issues accordingly.

Isabella-written stuff? I have copies of 1000 Comic Books You Must Read, Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands, the other Black Lightning trades with my writing and July 1963: A Pivotal Month in the Comic-Book Life of Tony Isabella. On the comic-book display rack, I will have the individual issues of Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands, the Gorgo Vs. Konga comic for which I wrote an introduction, the issue of Scooby-Doo Team-Up featuring Black Lightning that I didn’t write but I really love and maybe some surprises. Older Isabella-written will have to wait a week as I bag, board and price them.

This garage sale will see the debut of my exclusive variant edition of Marvel’s Greatest Creators: Tony Isabella #1 with the very first appearance of Misty Knight. There were only a little over 1000 of these printed. Selling for $10, they will be signed and numbered. I plan on offering #101-110 at the garage sale.

MAIL-ORDER NOTE. The Misty Knight exclusive will be available in a week or so. I have to determine packaging and shopping costs. Look for an announcement next week.
                                                                               

There will be a poster table at the garage sale. I found what I’m pretty sure is my last box of the two-sided Superman in Cleveland poster I conceived for the 1988 International Superman Exposition. I’ll also have various Black Lightning posters and mini-posters of Daredevil and Luke Cage.

I have several cool collectible phones for the sale, as well as a few other interesting items. All priced to sell.

The middle tables in my garage sale feature terrific buys. I have issues of Beano, a British comics weekly, priced at ten cents each. Commando, the U.K. war comics digest, and a handful of Archie digests at fifty cents each. Mass market paperbacks at fifty cents each. Manga volumes at a buck each. So much wonderful reading.

I have boxes of dollar comics and quarter boxes. In between them, I have a box of kids comics, a box of magazines and great oversized books that don’t fit into boxes. And all the above is just the tip of the Vast Accumulation of Stuff iceberg.
                                                                                 

Some other garage sales notes, which bear repeating:

My garage sales are cash only. I am an unfrozen caveman writer and your modern technology confuses and frightens me. I hope to learn how to use one of those credit-card cube things before the end of the summer. I am not confident that will happen.

I don’t charge for my signature at my garage sales, even if you’re bringing stuff from home for me to sign. However, if you just come to these sales to get free signatures and don’t buy anything, I’m gonna think you’re a jerk.

Parents should understand that not every comic book is suitable for all ages, even if the comic book features a classic character like Batman. I will have a dedicated box of suitable-for-all-ages comic books. For example, that’s where you’ll find classic Archie comics. The more current stuff will be in the dollar boxes. If you aren’t sure about a comic’s suitability for your child, I’ll be happy to talk to you about it and/or steer you to more appropriate reading material for your child.

I’m delighted to set up a complimentary guest table in my driveway for comics professionals and fan organizations. No one took me up on this offer for this first garage sale, but the offer does remain open for future sales. Please e-mail me with your credentials. I’ll do my best to accommodate you.

I’m excited about this garage sale and can’t wait to share it with my customers and neighbors tomorrow. I’ll be back soon with more bloggy things.

© 2019 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment