Monday, August 12, 2019

MY LAST VAST ACCUMULATION OF STUFF GARAGE SALE OF 2019

                                                                           
                                                                              
My last Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale of the year will be Friday and Saturday, August 30-31 at 840 Damon Drive, Medina, Ohio. Because this is my final garage sale of the year, I’m extending my usual garage sale hours.

Friday, August 30: 9 am to 1 pm, and 3 pm to 7 pm.

Saturday, August 31: 9 am to 1 pm, and 3 pm to 7 pm.

By appointment, I am also willing to open on Sunday, September 1. The same will hold true for Monday through Thursday, September 2-5. To set up these appointments, you have to e-mail me or text me via my cell phone number. If you already have my cell phone number, you will be able to text me. If not, you’ll need to e-mail me. If you have my old land line number, it won’t do you any good. I unplugged that line due to excessive scam and spam callers.

This year’s garage sales have not been as successful as I’d hoped. For 2020, I willo be rethinking how I do them and whether I’m going to do them at all. It’s not outside the realm of possibility that this last garage sale of 2019 will be my last one.

My game plan for the next two weeks and change before this garage sale is to make it as terrific as I can. One of my goals is to have more $10 mystery boxes than ever before.

Another is to offer some discounts on large purchases. Excepting Isabella-written books, Isabella-related posters and mystery boxes, you will get $10 off on any total purchase over $100. You will get $20 off on any total purchase over $200. You can get $30 off on any total purchase over...you see the pattern, right?

I’m going to go through my dollar comics boxes and put a bunch of them into my quarter boxes. With the exception of Commando digests, my fifty-cent tables will be quarter tables.

I’m going to reduce prices on just about everything else that I’m selling. A good number of my hardcovers and trade paperbacks will be either put on the quarter tables or put into my mystery boxes. My overall goal is to have as little stock left over as possible, allowing me to start anew in 2020.

As always, I’ll sign any Isabella stuff for free at my garage sale. It doesn’t matter if it’s an item you’ve purchased from me or that you’ve brought with you.

Look for further information on this garage sale on Craig’s List, Facebook and Twitter. I also plan to give the Medina Gazette just one more chance to see if advertising there can move the needle on my bottom line in a positive direction.

In other matters...

My next convention appearance, as you saw in yesterday’s bloggy, is the New Mexico Comic Expo, August 16-18, in Alburquerque. I have no appearance scheduled for September or October, though I’m still hoping to attend the Flaming River Con, September 21 at the Cleveland Public Library’s downtown branch. Whether I attend or not depends on if I can resolve a personal scheduling conflict.

I’m doing two shows back to back in November. Under new management, the Akron Comicon will be held November 2-3 at Emidio's Expo Center in Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. Less than a week later, I’ll be attending the Grand Rapids Comic-Con, November 8-10, Grand Rapids, Michigan. I’m not currently scheduled for any December events.

I’m also not scheduled for any conventions in 2020. Obviously, I’m hoping that changes. If it doesn’t, well, I’ll be able to spend a lot more time writing, preparing for next year’s garage sales and planning household renovations.

One of the hardest things about the possibility that my shelf life has expired is that, as I believe I proved with Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands, I’m not just as good as I ever as, I’m better than I ever was. When I mentioned this to someone on the Black Lightning set, they couldn’t understand why I would think my shelf life has expired. They mentioned my creation of the iconic Black Lightning, my other characters/concepts and the comic books I have written in my 47 years of comics. But, in truth, the comics industry has never made sense to me.

I intend to continue writing comic books, books and other things. I don’t know if I’ll be able to bring them to the marketplace. My pockets are the opposite of deep. But I’ll write them and hope for the best while keeping in mind that the best might well be someone discovering these unpublished works in my office after I’ve passed and become a vengeful spirit.

I’m depressed about this, but not all that depressed. With a little  help from a friend, I’ve come to realize I don’t lack confidence in the quality of my work. I think my work measures up to some of the best and surpasses that of other darlings of the moment. I’m still here. I’m still writing great stuff. I’ve been writing great stuff for longer than some of those writers have been living.

The comics industry can break your heart and it’s broken mine on a number of occasions. But it hasn’t broken my spirit or my talent. I’m still here and plan to remain here until, you know, that whole becoming a vengeful spirit thing. Be afraid.

I’ll be back soon with more bloggy stuff.

© 2019 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment