Tuesday, October 6, 2020

CHANDLER RICE

 

My wife Barb and I were crushed last week to learn of the passing of Chandler Rice, who had treated us so well when I was a guest at his Great American Comic Con in Las Vegas in November, 2018. This was the announcement on his company’s Facebook page:

Desert Wind Comics is saddened to announce that today we have lost our great leader, Chandler Rice. I can never live up to his amazing, albeit lengthy, Facebook announcements. But here’s a try. He was the biggest teddy bear we knew, he never met a stranger, and could talk to you for hours about his passion for comics and collectibles. He paved the way for things to be done bigger and better at conventions. He wanted to give the fans every bit of enjoyment he felt from being surrounded by the creators and artists. When shows resume, we know that the floors will be a little quieter without him here. His laughter and chatter could be heard isles away. He passed away peacefully with Sharon by his side. DWC’s team and Sharon are grateful for all of the love and prayers that are being sent.

Chandler was a convention friend, which means that I did not get to see him often but that every time I saw him it was a true joy. we would talk about comic books and our mutual friends in the crazy comics industry. I would sign comics for him and his clients, though not on as formal a basis as his truly amazing list of comics creators. I don’t think I was ever not smiling when I was with Chandler for those too few moments at conventions.

Others will have more to say about him because they were fortunate enough to know him better and spend more time with him than I did. I do know Barb and I had a ball at his convention. I did one of my better local television appearances at his convention, something he had set up.

He brought Trevor von Eeden to the con and thus Barb got to meet the talented artistic collaborator with whom I’ll always be linked. Black Lightning show runner Salim Akil put it best when he introduced us to the cast and crew of the show:

“Tony created Black Lightning and Trevor showed us what he looked like.”

From a character and story standpoint, everything important about Jefferson Pierce and his world was created before I pitched Black Lightning to DC Comics. But, even now, when I think of Jeff, Peter, Lynn and Tobias, it’s the early Trevor images that come to mind. I know Trevor enjoyed the convention as well. He and Barb hit it off immediately. We both like him a lot.

The convention was filled with people I liked and who Barb got to meet for the first time. That was Chandler at work. He brought together some of the best in the business.

Chandler did so many good things for so many people. I’m sure the Las Vegas community and other communities remember him for his many charitable works. I remember how he made it possible for my friend and mentor Roy Thomas to visit with Stan Lee, another friend and mentor of mine, before Stan passed. I know that visit meant a lot to Roy. I was honored to participate in a memorial for Stan which Chandler organized at the Las Vegas event.

I didn’t know Chandler as well as I would have liked. I didn’t get to spend as much time with him as I would have liked. That’s often the way it is in comics. I did know him well enough that we spoke about him arranging for me to attend other conventions. I usually handle those bookings myself. Chandler was one of just three people I’ve ever trusted enough to represent me in that manner.

I didn’t know Chandler as well as I would have liked. But I’m going to really miss seeing his smiling figure - yes, some people smile with their whole body - at conventions. He was a truly bright light in comics. His memory remains bright.

Rest in peace, my friend. My condolences to his family and friends and everyone else whose lives he made better and happier and just plain more fun.  

© 2020 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment