OPPS! My record keeping isn't always the best. Earlier this fall, I listed an incorrect date for when I knew I was queer.
It was Saturday evening, September 16, 2023. The Flaming River Con was held at the Fieldhouse in Lakewood, Ohio. The evening entertainment was a burlesque show in the venue's restaurant. I was sitting with people I had met doing panels and such at the convention. I have rarely felt so comfortable. Like a bolt of, well, lightning, it ht me that the reason I was so comfortable around LGBTQ+ people was because...I was one of them.
Admittedly, it took me a few weeks to figure out I was trans. My dear friend Shauna, who I had done a panel with, was the first person I came out to. I will always be grateful to her for her friendship and guidance. She told me about Cleveland Sex & Intimacy Counseling.
Once I had my first therapy session with the wonderful Hannah, there were no doubt about who I really was. She asked me if I wanted bottom surgery and I said "yes" so forcefully that it surprised both of us. There was a quiet cry of horror from my pants. Hannah directed me to MetroHealth's gender clinic where I have received excellent care.
There will be no going back no matter what obstacles I face and what sad losses I suffer. I know who I am and it's who I was meant to be. I know I am on the right journey. I even know that God or the Universe or whatever waited this long for me to figure it out for a reason. My age and my long career have enabled me to help many others on their journeys.
I owe my trans joy to a convention, the friends I made there, the wonderful care I've received, and the love I feel from so many in the comics community and elsewhere. My sincere thanks to all of you for being in my corner.
What an inspiring story! I've thought of myself as straight for my entire life (so far) but who knows what the future holds?
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Jenny. I’m the most grateful for your honesty with yourself, no matter how complicated it may have been to get there and follow up on it, because ultimately we’re all better off that way. Love to you and Barbara.
ReplyDelete