Monday, April 7, 2014

GRIM REALIZATION

If you’ve been reading my Facebook page, you already know that it’s been a busy and challenging couple of weeks for me and my family. My dad is still in the hospital as I write this entry in the early hours of Monday morning, but I don’t know where he’ll be by the end of the day. He could still be in the hospital.  He could be in an extended care facility for rehab. He could be back in his own home. I’m trying to adjust to changing circumstances as best I can, but it’s been and will likely continue to be an unpleasant roller coaster ride for me and mine.

As I write this bloggy thing, there are four paying gigs on my desk that need to be completed. I have some other business that needs to be attended to as well. Something has to give.

I will not be returning to full-size bloggy things until - earliest - Monday, April 14. There will be some quick posts here and there as I get a few spare minutes.

There will be no online Vast Accumulation of Stuff this week. I’ve not yet fulfilled orders from the previous sale and getting those packed and shipped are also a priority for the next couple of days. I’m trying to decide when the next online sale will be as well as how often I’ll be holding them. I’m currently leaning towards “as soon as possible” and “weekly” because, with unexpected expenses on my end, I could use the cash.

I don’t know when my actual garage sales will commence this year. The extended winter has prevented me from even beginning to prepare the garage for those sales. I need for the weather to allow us to park our cars in the driveway before I can even start cleaning the garage and setting up tables. Believe me, I’d like to start those sales as soon as possible. I’m even thinking of holding them every Friday and Saturday morning when I’m in town. Keep watching these bloggy things for details and schedules.

I’m not currently scheduled to appear as a guest at any conventions or events this summer.  I am planning to attend PulpFest 2014 this August in Columbus, Ohio, but just to relax and hang out with dear friends I don't see often enough.

Come May or June, I will be available for paying assignments. I’ll be available but somewhat picky. I look for gigs that are both fun and challenging and which I can do without being driven mad by the clients. Last month, I turned down a TV gig because it was perhaps the most repulsive gig I’d ever been offered and because I didn’t trust those offering the gig the least little bit.  I wish I could tell you more, but I agreed to a non-disclosure before I spoke to these guys. I really hope they were already scraping the bottom of their creative barrel when they offered me the job. I’d hate to see their show ever get made. Yeah, it was that repulsive.

If you’re not the bearer of repulsive gigs, you can e-mail me and we’ll talk.  I’m usually quite pleasant about these things, even if I don’t think a gig is right for me or, equally important, if I’m right for the gig.

So far, 2014 has been a frustrating year for me. I had planned and expected to spend most of the year working on projects I have been wanting to do for a very long time.  Hundreds of projects.  Alas, the real world had other plans. But I’m nothing if not persistent. I’ll keep trying to bend the universe to my will.

That’s all for now. Keep watching the bloggy thing for little bits of business this week...and keeping checking my Facebook page for the usual fun and games there.

I’ll be back as soon as possible with more stuff.

© 2014 Tony Isabella

1 comment:

  1. My prayers go out to you and I hope your father has a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete