Sunday, September 27, 2020

RUTH BADER GINSBURG

 

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg was the greatest Supreme Count justice of my lifetime. Many others have eulogized her far better and more eloquently than I could ever hope to do. But I did want to share a kind of sort of RBG story from a convention I attended five years ago this month.

I was a guest of the 2015 Indy Pop Con in Indianapolis. I had been told by many fans and professionals that this was a truly wonderful  convention. I didn’t doubt them. However, even with those glowing recommendations, I turned down the convention when I was first invited to it. Because it was held in Indiana.

Indiana, you see, had this bigot of a governor who was trying hard to discriminate against his state’s LGBTQ citizens. He looked like an evil Race Bannon cosplayer. I speak of Mike Pence, one of those faux-Christians who preaches hate with a bible in his hand. He was and remains a crap human being.

What changed my mind was the convention’s immediate and strong show of support for the LGBTQ community and diversity in general. I felt it was important to stand up for the rights of my fellow Americans by showing up where those rights were threatened. I wish I had the means, time and energy to do this all over the country and, indeed, the world. Because this fight is just starting.

It was Friday, June 26, 2015. While I was setting up my booth, I heard the welcome news that the Supreme Court of the United States had ruled that same-sex marriage was a constitutional right. My immediate thought was how wonderful it was to be at this convention in this state when the announcement was made.

There was a palatable wave of positive energy and joy that washed over the hall as the news spread.  I was glad to be in Indiana that day. It felt good, real good.

On Saturday, a Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg cosplayer walked through the convention. She looked the part, so much so that fans rushed up to her to thank her for the ruling. My delight at that was audible.

I have a Ruth Bader Ginsburg action figure among my Social Justice League figures. Right now, it’s sitting on the mantle in our family room. I wanted her to be in a prominent place as we mourn the loss of such an outstanding American.

May her memory be a blessing to our country and the world.

© 2020 Tony Isabella

1 comment:

  1. An evil Race Bannon. THAT's what he looks like! THANK you, Tony. Nobody could accurately put their finger on it until now.

    ReplyDelete