Monday, March 19, 2018

COFFEE AND COMICS

My only remaining open-to-the-public appearance this month will be a workshop that’s part of the Cleveland Public Library and the Ohio Center for the Book’s Coffee and Comics program. These workshops are hosted by Rising Star Coffee and allow attendees to join comics creators for free coffee and instruction at the Rising Star Coffee Roastery.

I’ll be at the Roastery on Saturday, March 24, from 10-11:30 a.m. This workshop will focus on creating and developing characters in comic books and strips, including my thoughts on the importance of establishing core values for primary characters.

My workshop will be open to all ages and skill levels. Bring your drawing materials and sketch pads because there will be a test of sorts. You’ll be given a character description I wrote for one of the characters in Black Lightning: Cold Dark Hands and be invited to sketch your own version of that character.

While you’re drawing - I hope you’re prepared to multi-task here - I’ll be talking on the other topics included in this lesson plan. Will I rise to the teaching level of Gabe Kotter or Jeff Pierce? I guess we’ll find out together.

If there’s time, I will be happy to answer questions outside of the lesson plan. Likewise, if the Roastery hasn’t had enough of me by the time the workshop ends, I’ll sign one (and only one) Isabella-written item for any attendees who request this. There will be no charge for that one signature.

The Rising Star Coffee Roastery is at the Hildebrant Building, 3617 Walton Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44113. For more information, call the literature department at 216-623-2881.

I’ll be back tomorrow with a new bloggy thing.

© 2018 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment