Monday, March 5, 2018

CLEVELAND CONCOCTION PREVIEW

The Cleveland ConCoction is my next convention appearance. It’s a multi-fandom convention that will be taking place Friday, March 9 through Sunday, March 11, at the Bertram Inn and Conference Center in Aurora, Ohio.

The event embraces all kinds of fan activities and interests. I’m there from the world of comics. Actor Sean Owen Roberts, who you’ve seen on Painkiller Jane, Supernatural, The Flash and various other genre TV shows, will be there. A whole bunch of fantasy, horror and science fiction authors are on the guest list. Cosplay, gaming and filk singing are also part of the programming.

Roberts is someone I’m hoping to chat with at length. Besides all the TV work, he was also in Ice Road Terror (2011). That was a cool monster movie that aired on the SyFy channel. As you know, my love of giant monster movies - I define giant monsters as anything freakishly bigger than it ought to be, like the Dumpster President’s ego and sense of entitlement - is second only to my love of the comics art form. Of course, with three days of convention events taking place late into the evenings, I expect I’ll have time to chat with many interesting creators and fans.

Registration for ConCoction starts at 10 am on Friday and 9 am on Saturday and Sunday. Adult membership in the convention is $50 for all three days and half that for children ages 7-12. There are also single day rates for adults and children.

Just glancing at the extensive programming schedule, I see panels on gaming, fandom, writing, anime, cosplaying, the Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles, steampunk, Star Trek and even belly dancing. Don’t worry. I am prohibited by federal injunction from belly dancing in public...and I think the world is better for that.

I’ll be participating in two programming events. On Friday, March 9 at 6 pm in the McKinley Room A, I’ll be doing a Q&A session. Just the place to ask me questions about comics I wrote 45 years ago and me squirm as I try to remember them. Or you can ask me about Black Lightning, my six-issue Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands series and the Tuesday night Black Lightning television series that’s pulling in the best ratings the CW has ever had in that time slot. Really, you can ask me just about anything. The worst that could happen is my pleading the Fifth.

On Sunday, March 11 at 10 am in Garfield Room C, the convention’s programming schedule will present “Coffee Hour with Tony Isabella.” While there’s always the possibility this hour will consist of me yawning while trying to recover for Saturday night’s parties, I’ll endeavor to be entertaining and informative.

When I’m not at these two programming events...or other programming events...or wandering around the convention...or checking out the art show, con suite or authors alley...I’ll be at my tables in the exhibit hall. As usual before a convention, I’m still figuring out what I’ll be bringing to sell at those tables.

I will be selling Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #1-5, though I  only have a few copies of the fifth issue at this time. It appears my reorders of the Black Lightning trade paperbacks - Volume 1 and 2 - will arrive in time for the convention. I’ll have copies of my script for Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands #1 and the unique Black Lightning poster created by Ohio artist Lee Smith. I’ll also have mini-posters featuring Daredevil and Luke Cage.

I’m putting together boxes of Isabella-written items, non-Isabella-written hardcovers and trade paperbacks, and comic books priced at just one dollar each. There’s some real cool stuff in these boxes and the prices are best described as “bargain.”

I will not be charging for my signature at this convention. But I do ask that, if you bring me a tall stack of stuff to sign, you be cognizant of the line behind you. If there is a line behind you, I would sign some of your books and then ask you to either go to the back of line or return at a later time. I don’t want a fan standing in my line so long they miss out on all the wonderful stuff going on at the Cleveland ConCoction.

If you want to interview me during the convention, please contact me before the convention. E-mail is the best way to contact me on this and any other matter.

For more information on the Cleveland ConCoction, please visit the event’s website.

I’m looking forward to my first appearance at this convention. I’m hoping to see some of you there as well.

That’s all for today, my bloggy friends. If all goes as planned, I will have a new bloggy thing for you tomorrow.

© 2018 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment