Thursday, February 28, 2019

TONY GOES TO FREELAND: CONCLUSION

Previously in Tony Isabella’s Bloggy Thing:

I flew to Atlanta/Freeland to attend the Black Lightning season two wrap party and to spend two days on the set during the final week of shooting for that season. I’ve been writing about the trip, but, as I commence this final installment of my report, I’m heading back to my home in Medina, Ohio and thinking of the conversation that I had during my final hours on the set...

Wednesday morning. I had a good night’s sleep after my twelve-plus hours on the set on the day and night before. I woke up feeling fine, sad that I was leaving all my friends on the set, but happy to be returning home to my family.

The Lyft driver who picked me up for the ride to the airport turned out be a fledgling actor and model. He was the manager of his four-year-old daughter, who was already doing some modeling. We chatted. He was thrilled to learn I was the creator of Black Lightning. When we got to the airport, he asked for my autograph.

The Atlanta airport was crowded. I had hours to kill before I could board my flight home. I had intended to buy a day pass to the Delta Sky Club, figuring I could eat breakfast there and relax. Much to my disappointment, Delta has changed its operation and only accepts the Delta American Express card. They don’t even take cash. Seems like an odd policy to me.

The airport TGIF was more receptive. I asked the hostess if I could get a table in the back and hang for a couple hours. The restaurant accommodated me, earning my server a very good tip. It was during my hours there that I started thinking about my comics career. Mostly that it may be over.

When I began this series of blogs about my trip - a report delayed by circumstances to a ridiculous extent - I started it with these two paragraphs:

If it doesn’t get any better than right this minute, if I never get to write another Black Lightning comics story or any other comics story, if I never again stand in front of an audience to speak of the character and work that has defined my career, if I never again visit the home city of Jefferson Pierce and his family, if this is it, the finale, the slow walk away from the things I love about the comics industry, then, you know, it’s okay.

I’ve had success other comics creators dream of achieving. I have created iconic characters that entertain and inspire. I’ve written great stories and worked with great artists. I’ve seen my proudest creation turned into an amazing hit television series by actors and crew members and directors and producers and writers who embraced my vision for that creation.


What prompted those somewhat gloomy paragraphs was a conversation I had on set with...forgive me, but, for my own reasons, I’m going to keep the identity of the person to myself. The individual asked me when my next Black Lightning comics series would be coming out. I had been dreading this question the entire time I was in Atlanta because I didn’t have a happy answer for it.

I responded that, though I pitched several Black Lightning projects to DC, including one set in the show’s universe, DC had passed on all of them. Against my strong objection, DC intended to reduce my creation, a headliner and the star of a hit TV series, to Batman’s support Negro in Batman and the Outsiders. Despite my explaining it to DC, the powers there could not grasp how insulting that is to the character, to the many people to whom the character is so important and, lastly, to the character’s creator. Because why not ignore the many millions of viewers who watch the TV series for the sheer nostalgic value of revisiting a concept from the 1980s?

I added I had also pitched a graphic novel and a new take on a currently benched super-hero. Those were also rejected by DC. Nor was I given any indication that DC wanted to work with me on future projects. DC seems to have kicked me to the curb.

I added that there were no projects from other comics publishers on my horizon. Apparently, it is lost on publishers that comic books written by me could include the header “From the creator of Black Lightning.”

This conversation made me sad. I said I might have to accept that my comics shelf life had expired. I could write books, of course. Not best sellers, perhaps, but fun and interesting books. I could, despite my frightening lack of business acumen, try to self-publish comics in print or online. I could continue speaking at libraries and schools. I could continue going to conventions, most of which will pay me an appearance fee. But I could not do the things I loved most: writing comics and, more specifically, writing new Black Lightning stories until the day I die.

The person with whom I was speaking had an expression of disbelief on their face. I had created so many iconic characters, they said. I had written great stories. Several of my creations were appearing in cartoons, movies and TV shows. What was wrong with DC and other comics publishers? 
 
All I could manage in response was a line I have used many times in the past. 
 
Forget it, Jake, it’s Comicstown.

The comics industry has never truly made sense to me throughout my 46 years in the business. It would be foolishly optimistic for me to think it will suddenly start making sense.

My career has become bipolar. I get amazing love and respect from the Black Lightning series, as well as from others working in the entertainment field. The same from TV news programs that interview me...and from most of my fellow comics professionals...and from the fans...and from many conventions. Libraries and schools love having me as a speaker. Yet, when it comes to the actual comics industry, it’s the sound of crickets. Quiet crickets at that.

I think I know some reasons for the comics industry disinterest in me. I’m good for one and maybe two great comic books a month. The big companies like writers who can write six or seven books a month for them, even if those books are substandard. Which is not to say all comics by prolific writers are substandard. Some are excellent. I’ll point to former Cleveland resident Brian Michael Bendis as an example of the latter.

I’m not fond of crossovers and other comics stunts. They’ve become tiresome over the decades. I’ve not been shy about expressing this opinion in my various columns.

I’ve committed to discussing the comics industry with honesty and integrity. The bullshit, whether from corporations or creators or sleazy gossip-mongering dingle berries, serves no purpose in either improving or promoting our art form.

I’m not a West Coast guy and I’m not an East Coast guy. There’s an entire country between Los Angeles and New York City. This country is often ignored by the powers at the big companies.

With continuity changing every year at the big companies, I admit I can’t keep up with it. It’s why my submissions generally work the corners of the shared universes. A reboot of the Creeper. A comic starring the Mole Man. To work in the mainstream continuities, I would need a patient editor willing to explain that continuity to me.

That I may not write any more comic books depresses me more than I can express. There are doubtless some who will be gleeful at this situation. The Internet and our current dumpster president do bring out the worst in people.

I do take some comfort in knowing, as stated above, that if this is all I get, it’s still more than many comics creators have gotten. It’s certainly more than the online naysayers have ever achieved. Maybe now I will get the chance to read all the books and comics I own that I haven’t read. Maybe now I’ll watch all those DVDs I own that I have never watched. Good lord, do I really own all those shark movies? I need a bigger house.

I’m grateful for the blessings in my life. For the unfailing love and support from my family, friends and readers. If I walk away, I won’t be tossing my costume in the trash. I’ll hold on it to remind myself of the great experiences I’ve had, most certainly including my days on the Black Lightning set. At the end of the day, I have had and have a good life.

Thanks for coming with me on this journey. Whenever it may lead and however long it continues, I hope you’ll continue to join me on it. You’re the Crosby and Lamour to my Hope.

I’ll be back soon with more stuff.

© 2019 Tony Isabella

           

1 comment: