Monday, May 10, 2021

CONVENTIONS 2021

 

 

I have missed attending conventions during this time of pandemic. I attended Pensacon 2020 in February of that year before such fun events were shut down. Things are opening up to varying extents and it seems appropriate that my first convention this year is going to be Pensacon 2021. It’s one of my favorite conventions, which makes attending it even sweeter. I’ll have more to write about Pensacon later this week. I’m just waiting for some additional information on my panel schedule.

Fully vaccinated, I hope to do several other conventions in 2021. I'd agreed to do two conventions in 2020 that were rescheduled for 2021, but I’m waiting for the promoter to confirm they are still happening and that our agreement for my appearances are still in place. I hope to learn the answers to those questions soon on account of I have an invitation in hand from another event on the same weekend as one of theirs.

I’m open to invites from other conventions and from comics shops, schools and TV shows. The sooner I’m contacted, the sooner we can work out the details of such appearances. The best way to contact me is through my e-mail.

Before anyone contacts me, they should look at my requirements for appearances. These requirements aren’t carved in stone. Knowing promoters had a rough go of it in 2020 and are still having a rough time this year, I am willing to work with folks to get me to their events. However, the bottom line is that I can’t afford to do the events on my own dime...and that won’t change until I start getting
good-paying work on a more frequent and regular basis. That said, here’s the standard requirements e-mail I send when I’m invited to conventions and other events...  

Appearance/convention materials must refer to me as the creator of Black Lightning. Never co-creator. Creator.

If I fly to an event, I require airfare for myself and a traveling companion. I need an aisle seat for myself. I have a Known Traveler Number.

If I'm driving to an event, you'll have to cover mileage. I charge fifty cents a mile each way.

Hotel (two beds).

A decent size guest booth or table for signing and selling.

Complete access to the green room for my companion and myself.

Assistance from your staff or volunteers at times.

I do charge a per day appearance fee. This fee is to be paid before the end of the event. If you’re doing a three-day show that starts on a Friday, I’ll waive the fee for Friday.

Except for items purchased directly from me at the event, I charge for signing. It’s a modest $5 per item...$15 per item if the person getting the item signed has this witnessed by a representative of a grading company.

Besides appearing at your event, I'm willing to do two panels a day as long as they aren't back to back. I can do a solo presentation. I can host a panel. I can appear on panels. I can do a performance of one of my stories, using audience members to “play” some of the characters. In the case of the last, I will need someone to prepare the story for projection on a large screen. The panels I appear on must be approved by me in advance of their announcement.

I will promote my appearance on my social media: Facebook (where I have three different pages), Twitter and my blog (Tony Isabella's Bloggy Thing).

I will do pre-event publicity with your local radio or television stations...or with your local print media.

I realize I'm not an inexpensive guest and have no problem if your budget can't handle that.

Thanks for the invitation. I hope we can work together.

So there you have it. This is what needs to happen to get me to a convention or other event. If my fans want to see me at their local convention, they should let the promoters know how much they’d like to see me at that event. Once again, the best way to contact me is via my e-mail. I look forward to hearing from you.

I’ll be back soon with more stuff.              

    
© 2021 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment