Wednesday, July 27, 2022

NEO COMICON 2022 IS COMING!

 

 

Last weekend’s Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales were fairly successful. I achieved around 87% of my two-day goal. That will pay some bills and allow me to invest in some upcoming projects that I want to do. Good news on multiple fronts. With those sales in the rear view mirror, I can look forward to my next public appearance.

NEO Comicon will return to the North Olmsted Soccer Sportsplex at 31515 Lorain Road on Sunday, July 31, from 10 am to 4 pm. This is one of my favorite events, held in a spacious turf floor facility that’s really easy on my feet.

This year’s event will feature over 100 dealer and creator tables, covering 26,000 sq ft. For just $5 admission, you can enjoy comics,  cosplay, action figures, Funko Pops and gaming. The family-friendly
convention supports Elyria's Friendship APL.


                                                                                       



Also supporting that charity will be a special commemorative poster celebrity my fifty years in the comics industry. I was knocked out when the convention surprised me with the news. I’ll let them tell you about it:

 

This year at NEO ComicCon, we're proud to present a new poster which both celebrates the career of one of our favorite guests AND benefits one of our favorite charities!

We asked eight artists to create images from the FIVE DECADE career of Tony Isabella; we picked the characters for which Tony is most well-known, including the iconic Black Lightning.

We assembled their art into a poster, printed the posters and hand- numbered 750 copies. The limited edition posters will be available for a $2 donation and proceeds will go to Friendship APL in Elyria. You'll be able to take your poster to the convention floor and have it signed by the artists themselves, most of whom will be there.  

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! All eight pieces of art will be auctioned individually at the show during our first ever silent auction. This is a great chance to start or add to your art collection, and all proceeds from the auction will also benefit the Friendship APL.


I am honored and humbled by such a wonderful surprise from one of my favorite conventions. If you purchase one of these posters, I’ll sign it for free.

Normally, with the exception of Isabella items purchased from me at NEO Comicon, I charge $10 per item for my signature. That pricing will be in effect for this event, but, as in past years, whatever money I make signing will be donated to the charity.

This year’s NEO guest list is, as usual, amazing:


Jay Fife (pin-up and poster artist)
Matt Horak (cartoonist, designer, comic-book artist whose credits include The Punisher)
Sean Wilson (comic-book writer)
Ted Sikora (comic-book creator and filmmaker, whose Apama is one of my favorites)
Rick Lozano (comic-book art and commissions)
Aaron Archer (illustrator and toy designer)
Dave Nestler (pin-up artist whose covers for Dynamite Comics stand out from others)
Jesse Marks (artist and illustrator)
Emily aka My Asylum (incredible artist)
Gary Dumm (a legendary artist who worked with me on CBG’s “Everett True” cartoons and with Harvey Pekar on American Splendor)
Dan Gorman (artist and illustrator)
Jason Moore (comic-book artist)
Jason Christner (artist for Cryptozoic Entertainment and Upper Deck
and my next-door neighbor at NEO Comicon)
Plus others whose work I don’t know but I’m hoping to learn about during the convention



My tables will be set up at the back of Field 2. If you longed to know what my Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales are like, you can get a glimmer of that wonderment at NEO Comicon. I am bringing as many boxes of dollar comics, magazines, Isabella-written items, older comics, hardcovers and trade paperbacks as I can fit on the two tables I have. The more of this stuff I sell, the more stuff I can add to my next garage sale, scheduled for Friday and Saturday, August 5-6, 9 am to noon at 840 Damon Drive in Medina, Ohio.

That’s the scoop on NEO Comicon, but you’ll find even more details at the convention website. I’m looking forward to the event and to seeing my friends and the fans there.

I’ll be back soon with more stuff.

© 2022 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment