Thursday, June 16, 2016

UPDATE: INDY POP CON 2016

Later today, my son Eddie and I will hit the road for Indianapolis and Indy Pop Con. I wrote about this convention about a week ago, so I’ll direct you that bloggy thing before I start making with the updates. I’ll wait while you check it out.

All caught up? Good.

I’ll be at Booth #824 during the convention...except for when I am wandering around having fun or visiting people or buying old comic books or buying new comics or...you get the picture.

However, you need not worry about being unable to find me. I’ll be at my booth most of the time because a) my stubby little legs will keep from wondering too long and b) I don’t have a lot of money to spend on old comic books and new comic books and other stuff that catches my eye.

I’ll be appearing on two panels during the convention.

On Friday (June 17), I’ll be on the “Making Comics That Get Read” from 4-4:50 pm in Panel Room 116-117. Here’s the description from the Indy Pop Con website:

Learn about the comics industry from established comic professionals, emerging independent creators, and retailers. Join us for a conversation about comic book production & publishing, building a creative team, reaching readers, and leveraging new technologies to bring your story to life. Panelists: Mark Waid, Creator & Owner Aw Yeah Comics Muncie (Marvel, DC Comics); Lee Cherolis, Artist & Creator - Little Guardians; Jackie Crofts, Artist - Nutmeg (Action Lab); Grizz Chapman – Actor & Owner of The Lair (Bronx NYC); Brian Wyrick, Co-Creator & Publisher - Henchmen (Robot Paper).

The sharp-eyed among you will notice the above does not list me as being on the panel. The schedule I was sent by the convention does list me. I probably won’t know if I’m actually on it until I arrive at the panel. If it turns out that I’m not on it, the best advice I can offer young creators is to become Mark Waid’s friend. Because he’s a pretty smart guy.

On Sunday (June 19), I’ll be on the Classic Comics panel from 10-10:50 am in Panel Room 116-117. Here’s the description of the panel from the convention website:

Join veteran creators Joe Rubenstein, Steve Rude, Mike Baron, Tony Isabella, and Scott Shaw as they discuss the history of comics.

I’m looking forward to see how many of us are awake for this early Sunday morning panel. I’m guessing two out of five.

In addition to the panels and the guests and all the other stuff I wrote about before, Indy Pop Con will be holding something called The Geeky Spelling Championship that sounds like it could be huge fun. These spelling bees will be held all weekend long.

Indy Pop Con is also hosting showings of several cult or soon-to-be-cult classic movies and its annual Fan Film Festival. I hope to sneak away from my booth to see some of these.

That’s all for today’s updates. I’m looking forward to seeing old friends, meeting new friends, answering questions, signing comics, enjoying the cosplay and more. If you haven’t come to Indy Pop Con before, it’s not too late to make plans to attend. You will have a wonderful time. For more on the convention, visit the Indy Pop Con website.

The bloggy thing will be taking a break while I’m at Indy Pop Con, but will return on Monday, June 20, with an announcement of my one Vast Accumulation of Stuff Garage Sale for 2016. It’ll be held on Friday and Saturday, June 24 and 25, from 9 am to noon on each of those days. I’ll have more details for you on Monday.

Have a great weekend and I’ll see you again soon.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment