Thursday, June 9, 2016

WHY I HATE MYSELF TODAY

Because I bit off more than I could chew and I was too prideful to recognize it sooner. That’s the Cliff’s Notes version of my pain. Assuming anyone still publishes Cliff’s Notes. Not that I ever used them. I was the kid who actually read the books. So now some of you also have a reason to hate me. But I digress.

I thought I could do it all. I thought I could write my new comic-book project. I thought I could attend a bunch of comics and other conventions. I thought I could write two books, only one of which I have ever mentioned publicly. I thought I could pursue some intriguing possibilities in the world of “B” movies. I thought I could hold the best Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales in the history of Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales. I hate myself for being an idiot.

Here’s the bad news for my local friends:

There will be no Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales this year. For the second year in a row. Which is as disappointing to me as it is to you. But when I saw how little progress I’d made working on what would have been my first garage sale of the summer, I realized the sales had gone from being sort of exciting to a heaping pile of frustration and self-loathing.

Frustration is rampant at Casa Isabella these days, affecting all of us. I’m not going to go into all the details because my Sainted Wife and our wonderful children have a right to privacy that I will not violate except on those occasions when I can get a really funny story out of it. I will say we are not frustrated with one another. Stuff is happening in all our lives. We will deal with it and, when possible, we will help each other deal with it. But I’m not going to write about it here.

That sounds very mature of me, doesn’t it? Don’t let that fool you in the slightest. I’m still an idiot.

I still intend to do all of the other things mentioned above. The comic-book project is my first priority. In fact, I’ll be buying a laptop so I can work on it and those other things when I’m on the road. I still think I can do it all. So, yes, I’m an idiot, but I am a determined idiot. That must count for something.

I am sort of optimistic the Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales will resume in late spring or early summer of 2017. My optimism is mostly based on my belief that I can find some trustworthy soul to run them for me and who would be willing to do this for a generous cut of the sales. I would provide direction for the sales and would still lend my sparkling personality to them, but my involvement in the preparation of the garage sales would be very limited. I don’t think working for me is anyone’s definition of a dream job, but it could be fun and interesting. That said...

DO NOT send me any resumes at this time. This is a decision I can put off until well after New Year’s Day 2017. It’s something that I don’t want to have to think about while I’m doing all that other stuff I mentioned above.

That’s all I have for you today. I’ll be back tomorrow to tell you all about my coming (as in next weekend) appearance at the wondrous Indy Pop Con in Indianapolis. See you then.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

1 comment:

  1. I will definitely be coming to Indy Pop on Sunday, so I'll be looking forward to hooking up with you. Meanwhile, it overjoys me that Tony-fueled projects are heading our way in the future. Right now, I have my own little project I'm working on... a comic-strip autobiography about how I became the comic book fan I am called GENESIS OF A FANBOY, which I'm posting every few days on my Facebook page. Pays me nothing... but it's a story I've longed to tell, and I am the Master of my domain.

    Wait a minute... that didn't come out right.

    ReplyDelete