Sunday, October 30, 2016

AKRON COMICON (November 5-6)

The Akron Comicon is moving to a new venue for this year’s event. We’ll be at the John S. Knight Convention Center, 77 E. Mill Street  on Saturday and Sunday, November 5 and 6. The show runs from 10 am to 6 pm on Saturday, 10 am to 5 pm on Sunday. General admission tickets are a extremely reasonable $15 per day or $25 for a two-day pass. There is free admission for children 13 or younger. There’s also free parking. This is one of the best comics convention deals I have seen all year long.

This will be my final convention or any other public appearance of the year. I’ll be at Table #98 between my pals Tom Orzechowski and Marc Sumerak. And that’s merely the start of an amazing guest list which includes...Alan Davis, the second of only two international appearances this year...Alan Grant, his first U.S. appearance in seven years...Jason Moore...John Totleben...P. Craig Russell...the wondrously crazy Craig Yoe...Aaron Archer...TV Captain America Reb Brown...Allen Bellman, Golden Age artist from Timely Comics...TV Captain Marvel Jason Boswick...Mike Curtis and Joe Staton from the Dick Tracy newspaper strip...Addy Miller and Tim Proctor from The Walking Dead...the legendary Mike W. Barr...the even morelegendary Tom Batiuk of Funky Wonkerbean and Crankshaft...Craig Boldman...Arvell Jones...Dirk Manning...Bob Ingersoll...Thom Zahler...Jay E. Fife...Dan Gorman...Paul Storrie...Mike Gustovich...the always effervescent George Broderick...Darryl Banks...and many others.

I’ll be appearing on a panel or two or three, but that schedule is not final at this time. I’ll probably be doing my award-deserving “Tony’s Tips Live!” wherein I offer news, views and reviews, tell you outrageous stories of my comics career and answer those of your questions I can legally and safely answer.

At my table, I’ll be selling copies of the Black Lightning volume published earlier this year, my last available copies of 1000 Comic Books You Must Read, some of the Garfield comics albums on which I have worked, various Isabella-written comics, the rare, two-sided Superman poster I helped design for the 1988 International Superman Exposition in Cleveland and an assortment of dollar comics. I will also do my best to answer any questions you were too shy to ask at my various panels.

Akron Comicon is the last guaranteed convention where I will sign Isabella-written stuff for free. In 2017, depending on the support I receive from the conventions I will be attending, I will charge a nominal fee for my signature. Details will be posted in advance of those conventions.

However, this year, the signatures are free. If you have a lot of stuff for me to sign and there’s a line - which doesn’t happen all that often - I’ll sign a few and ask you to move to the end of the line so I can sign for the other fans in line. But I will sign all the Isabella-written stuff you bring me to sign.

I’m excited about returning to Akron Comicon. My good buddies Mike Savene, Robert Jenkins and Jesse Vance always put on a great event. The motto is “Fans First” and they mean it.

I’m also excited about planning next year’s convention appearances. If you’re a promoter who would like to sign me up to be a guest at your event, e-mail me and we’ll get things started.

This has been a rocky year for me and the comics industry. We have enjoyed great success and too many tragic losses. But I can’t think of a better cure for the blues or a better place to share good news than the Akron Comicon. A great time will be had by all.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment