Monday, October 3, 2016

THINGS THAT MAKE ME HAPPY (September 2016)

Life has its ups and downs. To keep the latter from having power over me, I try to concentrate on the people, events and creations that bring great joy to my life. Every day, on my Facebook page and on Twitter, I remind myself of my wondrous blessings in a segment I call “Things That Make Me Happy.”

At the end of each month, for my bloggy thing readers who might not be following me on Facebook or Twitter (@thetonyisabella), I collect the items posted during that month. Here’s what I posted in September...

September 1: Vote Loki. Two issues into this wondrously satirical series. It could not have come at a better time.

September 2: DC Collectibles Rainbow Batman action figure set. It was a surprise gift from one of my clients.

September 3: Those smooth Honda ads with a cappella singers.  They never fail to bring a smile to my face.

September 4: The good wishes I received from friends and readers on the day Black Lightning won the Internet.

September 5: Medina Library. I read hundreds of books a year from this wonderful place and its associates.

September 6: Labor Day cookout with the Comunales and the Luppinos. Good company, good friends, good neighbors.

September 7: Faith and Archer’s smile-inducing first date in A&A: The Adventures of Archer and Armstrong #5.

September 8: Godzilla Resurgence will be at a movie theater near me in mid-October. All hail the Great Scaly One!

September 9: Gail Simone. Like I need a reason.

September 10: Showing Medina to out-of-town friends and realizing anew what a cool city we live in. Still more Republican and white than I would like, but cool nonetheless.

September 11: Bob and Laurie Rozakis. Such great people and so much fun to hang out with.

September 12: Realizing a completed script lacks something. Getting a great idea to correct this.

September 13: Rito’s Bakery in Brunswick, Ohio. Closest I’ve ever found to the bread my dad made at Isabella Brothers Bakery.

September 14: Good wishes from a dear old friend who is also an old comics associate. Can’t wait to see him again.

September 15: Black Action Tees. They have a cool Black Lightning shirt and much more.

September 16: My daughter Kelly. She’s 25 today and continues to be a wondrous delight in my life.

September 17: Salim and Mara Brock-Akil. They are wonderful people. I’m excited about their Black Lightning plans, which fit squarely within my core values vision of my creation.

September 18: Dickey's Barbecue Pit in Medina. Always great food at reasonable prices.

September 19: Spending an afternoon with my daughter Kelly. Going out for ice cream and watching The Flash.

September 20: Completing my collection of The Rawhide Kid from #17 to #151. Do I want to try for the pre-Johnny Clay issues?

September 21: Buying The Mighty Marvel Western #1 in good condition and at a reasonable price. Only 45 more issues to go. Any donations will be accepted gratefully.

September 22: Finished watching the second season of The Flash with my daughter Kelly. Lots of twists and turns. Will this new season introduce the 3 Dimwits to the DC-CW Universe?

September 23: Construction guy working on street outside my house spots my Captain America t-shirt when I get the mail. Few years younger than me. Proceeds to tell me how much he hates the current Captain Hydra series. Didn’t know I was the Tony Isabella.

September 24: Belated birthday dinner celebration for Kelly at the Brew Garden with family and friends.

September 25: Ghost Rider on TV’s Agents of SHIELD in all his CGI glory. Even though I keep having to explain to non-comics-reading family and friends that this GR is three or four times removed from the one I wrote.

September 26: Switched to buying my meds from CVS at Target. Much cheaper and more efficient than the despised Healthspan.

September 27: Getting really good notes from an editor, especially an editor who wants me to tell my story.

September 28: Taking my niece Kara to the Luke Cage premiere at the Magic Johnson Theater in Harlem.

September 29: Simone Missick as Misty Knight. This is my favorite version of Misty ever, including the one I wrote.

September 30: Attending the Luke Cage premiere with my dear friends Arvell and Wanda Jones.

This is not the bloggy thing you were expecting. I had intended to write about the Luke Cage premiere. Unfortunately, there is another complication with my mother-in-law Rose. I’ve written that she is suffering from Alzheimer’s Disease and dementia...and that her much younger than her husband has left her. The divorce proceedings are not going as we expected. It’s an issue that must be dealt with as swiftly as possible. This is not the proper time for me to discuss this in detail, but that time will come.

Over the next few days, I’ll be finishing and posting bloggy things which have been in the works for a while. When I do get to writing about the Luke Cage premiere and my trip to New York, I’ll be able to do a proper job of it.

Thanks for visiting with me today. I’ll be back on the morrow with my report on the Neo Comic Con that was held in Strongsville, Ohio on August 14.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

1 comment:

  1. This is a difficult time for your and the family. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete