Tuesday, October 11, 2016

CITIZEN TONY: DEPLORABLE

This will be the last “Citizen Tony” column before Election Day and maybe the last one until Hilary Clinton is sworn in as our new President. I’m trying to keep a good thought here.

One of my goals for these columns was to discuss important issues without insulting those who don’t see things as I do. That became increasingly difficult as Donald Trump broke every rule of civility and probably created some new rules that he could break. I couldn’t keep from laughing out loud when evil Race Bannon cosplayer Mike Pence accused Clinton of running an insult-driven campaign. ‘Twas almost as ridiculous as all those times Pence claimed Trump didn’t say things the Donald is on tape saying.

Pence’s comment came from Clinton referring to some Trump supporters as “deplorables.” I think she should have referred to deplorable actions and not people. I’m going to give you a few examples of what I mean...

Racism is...deplorable.

Voting for a man who often says racist things and proposes racist policies is...deplorable.

Misogyny is...deplorable.

Voting for a man who often says crude things about women, a man who demeans women, a man who makes insulting comments about a woman’s body is...deplorable.

Not having a clear understanding of the civil rights we learned in school, especially for a man running for President is...deplorable.

Voting for that man is...deplorable.

Praising dictators is...deplorable.

Voting for a man who praises dictators is...deplorable.

I could offer many more examples of deplorable behavior. I started with a list of fifty such examples and that was before all of the October revelations about Trump and all of the outrageous things he said at the two presidential debates. But those of you who decided long among that Trump is the most awful candidate ever to run for President are already aware of those things. I don’t think there is anything I could write that would sway his supporters from casting what will be the worst vote they have ever cast in their lives. They don’t seem to care about any of that.

I can only attempt to understand why they support Trump and it is not pretty. Many part of Trump’s message resonates with them. Maybe some of them like being able to openly proclaim their racist views. Maybe some of them are so terrified by the fear-mongering of the right - Trump is far from original in this - that they support him out of terror. Maybe they have been convinced that their station in life has been stolen by the dreaded “others.” Maybe they foolishly hope that Trump will make them wealthy, even though his tax policy would almost solely benefit the rich. Maybe they are already rich and want to become even more so. Maybe they are simply people who refuse to take the time to learn the truth about Trump’s character and suitability for the presidency.

I have clearly said some insulting things today. I don’t know how to discuss deplorable actions, policies and rhetoric without taking a strong stand against deplorable actions, policies and rhetoric. I understand those who embrace those deplorable things will surely take offense because, as logic dictates, these deplorable things, these terrible affronts to the American dream and ideal, are coming from people like Trump and his supporters and from those Republicans who put their party over their country.

I think any vote for Trump or vote that doesn’t help Clinton beat Trump is illogical and immoral. I can’t express it any more plainly than that.

I am with Clinton because, having done the homework every voter should have done by now, I find her to be the most worthy candidate in this race. I find her inclusive policies resonate more closely with my views of what our country should and must be. Trump wants to divide us. I believe we are, indeed, stronger together.

If you’re on the fence - I have no illusions whatsoever about being able to turn Trump supporters - I hope my words today can convince you to vote for Clinton. I think a Trump presidency would do great damage to our country and bring shame upon us all for many years to come.

This is where I thank you for reading these “Citizen Tony” columns. They will return...because American citizenship is not a part-time thing.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

1 comment:

  1. I find myself obsessively checking Nate Silver's 538 website just to reassure myself that not all Americans have succumbed to some sort of political mad cow disease that makes them believe that Trump is in any way a realistic candidate, and not simply the reincarnation of Benito Mussolini as envisioned by Chuck Jones.

    Trump is the vile end product that's produced from thirty plus years of a political party aligning themselves with bigots, racists, the Religious Right, and every other sub-group that wants to turn the clock back to some mythical 1950's Leave it to Beaver era that never existed in the first place.

    I can't be the only person that's come to the conclusion that Trump is, in reality, Zaphod Beeblebrox, sent to Earth to act in such an outrageous manner that it distracts everyone from what's actually going on in our government.

    ReplyDelete