Friday, August 3, 2018

CONVENTIONAL MADNESS

Today and tomorrow, I will be holding my next Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale at Casa Isabella, 840 Damon Drive, Medina, Ohio from 9 am to 1 pm each day. I’ll have lots of cool, bargain-priced comics, magazines, books and more on sale. As with all of my garage sales, I will sign Isabella-written items free of charge.

NEO Comic Con is my next actual convention appearance. The one-day event is entering its fourth year; this will be my third appearance there. The convention takes place on Sunday, August 19, from 10 am to 5 pm at at the Soccer Sportsplex, 31515 Lorain, North Olmsted, Ohio. Admission is $7 for adults and $5 for cosplayers with anyone age 13 and under getting free admission.

Portions from admissions along with individual donations will go to Make-A-Wish Ohio, Kentucky & Indiana Organization. Last year, the convention raised over $3000 for that organizations. With the help of sponsors Halleen KIA and Lakewood’s El Carnicero restaurant, it'll do the same or better this time around.

The NEO guest list is impressive for a regional show. Besides the creator of Black Lightning and Misty Knight - you might know him - the stellar roster includes Gary Dumm, Ted Sikora, Marc Sumerak, Darryl Banks, Dan Gorman, Phil Hester, Matt Horak, Angel Medina, Ande Parks and others.

I’ll be appearing on at least one panel (details to follow). I will also have two tables from which I’ll be selling Isabella stuff and much more. If you haven’t been able to attend my garage sales, this will give you a sampling of what’s available at them.

I will be charging for signatures at NEO Comic Con. For anyone new to my convention appearances, here’s the price list for that:

Items bought at my table: no charge.

Items not bought from me: one free signature; all others $2 per item.

Photo of me or with me: no charge.

Signature witnessed by representative from grading company: $5 per item.

Having me sign Certificate Of authenticity: $5 per item.

While we’re here, I'll catch you up on my appearance and garage sales schedules for the rest of this year and into 2019.

Some of these appearances are in a state of flux because we haven’t yet finalized all the details. Those appearances are in italics. I expect they’ll happen, but I’m erring on the side of caution. Yeah, that doesn’t sound like me, does it?

Here’s the schedule with occasional commentary...

August 10-11: Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale

August 19: NEO Comic Con (North Olmsted)

August 24-25: Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale
August 31-September 1: Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale

This might be my last garage sale of the year, but I’m not making that call yet. If the weather remains good, I might add two or more sales  before the end of the year.

September 8-9: Hall of Heroes Comicon (Elkhart, Illinois)

I’ll have more information on this event next month.

September 28-30: Baltimore Comic Con

So many people have told me this is the greatest comics convention in the country and the show certainly has the guest list to back up that claim. Many old friends. Many comics creators I have never met but want to. At this time, I don’t know exactly what I’ll be doing at this event, but I’m up for interviews, panels, signings and all sorts of crazy fun. If my memory is correct, this will be my first trip to Baltimore. I’d love to talk to publishers and others who would like to work with me, but I’m mostly coming to the convention for my friends and the fans.

I have nothing scheduled for October, but that could change if the right invitation comes along.

November 3-4: Akron Comicon

This is one of my favorite conventions. I always have a terrific time. Highly recommended.

November 9-11: Grand Rapids Comic Con

Another of my favorite conventions. I think this will be my fourth guest appearance at the event.

November 17-18: Great American Comic Convention (Las Vegas)

At present, the above will likely be my last convention appearance of the year. But, as with October, that could change if the right December invitation comes along.

Looking ahead to 2019...

March 9-10: Big Apple Comic-Con

I love going to New York. I’ll probably extend my stay by a couple days to hang out with friends and other loved ones.

Friday, April 12-13: BGSU Batman Conference

Bowling Green State University holds an annual comics conference  and, despite the lofty setting, these conferences are both fun and informative.

July 12-14: G-Fest

All praise Godzilla! I attend this convention mostly just for fun. However, for the 2019 event, I hope to have a collection or two of my monster movie reviews available.

July 17-21: Comic-Con International (San Diego)

This is a total leap of faith. As I write today’s bloggy, I have no reason to believe any entity will cover the considerable expense of attending this event. Still, given the amazing success of a TV series starring a character of my creation, my overall body of work in the comics industry and my insight into comics and the industry, Saintly Wife Barb talked me into attending. So did one of my best friends. So I’ll be there. Make of it what you will and contact me as soon as possible if you want to include me in your own plans for the convention.

If you’re a convention promoter who would like me to appear at your event, please e-mail me with your invitation and all pertinent info thereof. I’ll send you back my requirements package. Said package will include an appearance fee, hotel and travel. I’m a really fun date, but I’m no longer a cheap date. Don’t hesitate to e-mail me and, believe me, having helped Roger Price put on many conventions, I will understand if we can’t make it work.

The above holds true if you’re asking me to speak at a library, a school, a university or any other non-convention event. I tend to be flexible with my requirements for elementary and high schools, especially in the Cleveland area. But it all starts with a e-mail. That’s the best way to contact me.

One last thing. While going through my Vast Accumulation of Stuff, I came across something truly horrific. It filled with shame. I’ll be writing about this tomorrow in the hopes that, it being Saturday and all, the mainstream media won’t see it and my secret shame will be short-lived. One can only hope.             

© 2018 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment