Wednesday, August 12, 2020

DON’T TELL MY WIFE, BUT I’M ACTUALLY BUYING COMIC BOOKS

My Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales have two purposes. I’m trying to reduce the VAOS to the point where I can again call it a collection and, for the first time in nearly three decades, be able to catalog, manage and enjoy it. That’s job one.

Job two is to make some money through this extensive reduction of stuff. I’m pricing books, comics and other items around 70% below their cover and market prices.

One of the most consistently popular areas of my garage sales has been my quarter boxes. Besides giving customers the opportunity to come away from these sales with large stacks of comic books for a relatively few bucks, the quarter boxes are where I get the basic foundation for my equally popular ten-dollar mystery boxes. Every one of those boxes starts with a base of at least 20 comics from my quarter boxes. So, right off the bat, you know each box will have $5 worth of stuff even before I add other comics, magazines, trade paperbacks and other goodies.

At the end of last year’s sales, I used all of my stock of quarter comics to make over two dozen mystery boxes. At the start of this year, I took last year’s unsold dollar comics and put them in new quarter boxes. That stock of quarter boxes has not lasted as long as I had believed it would. Hence...

I’m buying short boxes and long boxes of comic books. I’m paying $15 for a short box and $30 for a long box. 

The only conditions I put on these purchases are these:

The comic books have to be in decent shape. They do not need to be bagged and boarded.

You have to bring the boxes to me. That way, there’s a chance you will end up spending whatever I pay you and more shopping my garage sales. Insert evil laugh here.

The boxes can not contain sexually explicit comic books like, for example, Naked People Having Naked Sex Adventures. Yes, I totally made that title up. No, surprisingly, it’s not on my bucket list of over three hundred things I want to write before I kick the bucket.  If I write sexually explicit comics or prose, they will be ever so much more classy and filled with keen insight on why people enjoy rubbing against each other while, you know, naked.

If you want to sell boxes of comics to me, e-mail me so that we can arrange a date and a time for you do that. I will have to limit how many comic books I buy. A friend of mine once bought 13,000 comic books and they were delivered to his house on a pallet. I have had nightmares about that ever since he shared the story with me. Not to mention it would be hard to hide a pallet of comic books from my Saintly Wife Barb.

Am I afraid she’ll read this blog and find out I’m buying comics? Hey, she’s been listening to me through our 36 years of marriage and the ten years we dated before that. Do you think she reads these bloggy things? “Saintly” only goes so far.

There we have it. I’m buying comic books.

God help me.

I’ll be back soon with more stuff.

© 2020 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment