Saturday, August 22, 2020

SGT. FURY (The Unrealized Isabella)

The Unrealized Isabella is a series of columns discussing concepts and stories I pitched unsuccessfully. Eventually, I’ll also include columns on where I would have gone with some of the actual comics titles I’ve written. Black Lightning. Champions. Ghost Rider. Grim Ghost. Hawkman. Satan’s Six. And others.

In the early 1970s, before I went to work for Marvel Comics, I had become a friend of sorts and occasional irritant to Roy Thomas, the legendary Marvel editor and writer. Roy encouraged me to pursue my dream of working in comics. On my end, I took absurd advantage of our relationship to pitch countless ideas to him. Every so often, as I go through seemingly endless boxes of old file folders, I come across one of those pitches.

Today, accompanied by a fine illustration by Simon Miller, I share a pitch I wrote for a revamp of Marvel’s then-currently published Sgt. Fury series. The title was running reprints every other issue. I likely figured this could be an opportunity for a talented young writer - that would be me - to dazzle Stan Lee and Roy Thomas with a new direction for the series.

Here’s what I pitched:

SGT. FURY

A new direction for this series begins with a multi-part story. The war has been going badly for Germany. THE HOWLERS go into the heart of Berlin to rescue ERIC KOENIG. Complicating matters is a deadline that can not be altered. The bombing of Berlin is about to begin and the stronghold where Eric is kept prisoner is high on the list of Allied targets.

The war with Germany is nearly over when the Howlers get back to England. Several of them are wounded. While the team recovers, the irrepressible NICK FURY stumbles across a spy ring and battles for his life during the last moments of the war.

Before the Howlers are discharged, though, they return to Germany to battle THE BLITZKRIEG SQUAD. The Squad have become criminals who prey on the Allied forces and the German people alike with the same precision tactics they used during the war.

The Howlers are discharged and go their separate ways, but Nick is restless. He goes from job to job until a truck driving job leads him to a clash with hijackers and the police department. To Nick’s surprise, two of his fellow patrolmen are his old “pals” BULL McGIVENEY and RICKETTS JOHNSON. When Johnson is killed, Nick leaves the force to become a private detective.

Besides typical private eye cases, Nick could encounter some Marvel villains at the beginnings of their careers and the occasional foe from World War II. Possibilities include: THE KINGPIN, before his rise to the head of the gangs; DOCTOR DOOM, who has yet to conquer Latveria; and MAGNETO, whose powers have just started developing, but who uses his “magnetic personality” for crimes like blackmail and extortion. Magneto’s got a touch of super-mental powers, as seen in X-Men #6.

BARON STRUCKER and HYDRA could appear. They would be handled in a manner wherein Nick never actually learns Strucker is alive or that  there is such an organization as Hydra.

Some more down-to-earth situations for Nick could include looking into the death of a trapeze artist working in the circus of DUM-DUM DUGAN; tracking JAY LITTLE BEAR, a wrestler suspected of narcotics trafficking; and searching for DINO MANELLI’s missing daughters and their kidnappers.

********************************** 
That’s where the pitch ended. As you can see, I had not mastered the big finish at this early stage of comics aspirations.

I hope you enjoyed this blast from my past. Coming up next will be the original plot to an issue of Sgt. Fury that I gang-plotted with some of my Marvel Bullpen buddies.

Until then, stay safe, stay sane and be wonderful to one another. Only our combined light can dispel the darkness.

© 2020 Tony Isabella

2 comments:

  1. I think I would have rather enjoyed that had it come to pass!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. Also sounds like Stan wasn't interested when he should've been.

    ReplyDelete