Saturday, June 22, 2013

GET MORE TONY: ESSENTIAL CAPTAIN AMERICA

Essential Captain America Vol. 5 [Marvel; $19.99] reprints Captain America #187-205, Captain America Annual #3 and Marvel Treasury Special: Captain America's Bicentennial Battles.  That includes two issues fully written by yours truly and a third issue plotted by me and scripted by Bill Mantlo.  I think I did a good job on my issues, but the real gems in this thick black-and-volume are hundreds of pages of stories written and drawn by Jack Kirby.  I think you'll enjoy the wacky wonderment of my own stories and the even bigger, more boisterous wonderment of Kirby's.  Hundreds of pages of cool comics at a very reasonable price.  I recommend this collection.

2 comments:

  1. I know it can be a hazardous question, but, how do you feel about Mantlo's handling of your plot? That sort of thing always interests me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, I never thought about it one way or another. I liked Bill's writing; I was the first Marvel editor to give him writing assignments. I can't recall that I had any problem with his scripting.

    The reason I didn't script this issue was because I didn't see the point in writing one more issue of the title after I had been finagled off Daredevil and given Captain America as a replacement...when the editors already knew Jack was coming back to the title. I spent a considerable amount of time working out the beats of a multi-issue serial that would have led to the bicentennial issue. Work I could have devoted to something else if the editors had been honest with me. I don't hold a grudge against those editors. Just telling you why I opted not to script that issue.

    ReplyDelete