Wednesday, June 26, 2013

THE SHADOW #73: THE SEVEN DROPS OF BLOOD

Just out from Anthony Tollin’s Sanctum Books is The Shadow #73:
“The Seven Drops of Blood” & “Death from Nowhere”
[$14.95]. The two
novels were written by Walter B. Gibson writing as Maxwell Grant.
In “The Seven Drops of Blood” (1936), the mystery man who knows the
evil lurking in men’s hearts follows a trail of murder to retrieve
priceless rubies.  In “Death from Nowhere” (1939), the Shadow must
prove the innocence of a man accused of an impossible crime.  The
two novels are liked by the presence of the enigmatic Rahman Singh.
In addition to the usual excellent historical essay by Will Murray,
the volume also features a short adventure of The Whisperer by Alan
Hathway writing as Clifford Goodrich.

Batman fans should keep an eye out for The Shadow #74: “The Crystal
Buddha” & “The Vindicator.”
Those two novels foreshadowed a pair of
Golden Age Batman adventures.

As with the other Sanctum Books series - Doc Savage, The Whisperer
and others - these Shadow double novels are entertaining journeys
into the heroic fiction of the pulp era.  They’re wonderfully made
books and I regularly despair I might never get around to reading
them all.  But what I can do is let you know about the new releases
as they appear.  More Sanctum Books news is on the way.

© 2013 Tony Isabella

3 comments:

  1. Very much appreciate your updates on these recent Shadow/Doc Savage/Avenger Sanctum reprints Tony! Really great stuff…Thank you!

    RichM

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently started reading the Shadow books, but I'm only up to #6.

    Hoy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been faithful to these fantastic volumes since they started. I'm desperately behind on The Shadow books, but I've stayed pretty well current on Doc Savage and The Avenger. I always wanted to read the Doc Savage stuff through and Anthony Tollin has made it possible as getting hold of the Bantams was a task I dreaded. These have replaced comic books in many ways for me.

    Rip Off

    ReplyDelete