Saturday, January 1, 2022

THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY IN DECEMBER

 

 

These monthly columns usually begin with my bemoaning the terrible stuff in my life and our country. However, it’s a new year and I’m changing that up. Less doom and gloom and more positivity.

I’m determined to hit the ground running in 2022. I’ll be finishing a consulting project, wrapping up some household business, writing Last Kiss cartoons, preparing for the online launch of some sort of Tony Isabella Store and starting work on the Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales that will launch in the spring if the weather permits.

There will be the usual “resolutions” that many people make. I’ll try to exercise and lose weight. My health is good for a man of my age, but there’s plenty of room for improvement. I’ll be downsizing all year long with the notion that, maybe a few years from now, I can move to an area somewhere better suited to my beliefs. I’ll try to be careful with money, assuming I actually make some this year. This includes not buying back issues of Candy, Gorgo, Kathy, Konga, Reptilicus or The Barker until I have figured out which issues of these titles I already have.  

I am in the process of working out an agreement with an agent who will manage my convention appearances and speaking engagements and pretty much any other appearance that involves my going somewhere to thrill both civilians and comics fans. In addition, I definitely want to explore acting as a side gig. Even if Stargirl showrunner Geoff Johns doesn’t cave to the millions of demands (pretty much all from me) that I play Al Pratt, the Justice Society member that the same millions are demanding to appear on that series. Anyway, once that agent/client agreement is fully in place, I’ll give you her contact information.

I’m going to launch a YouTube channel with my son Eddie. We’re not 100% sure what that will be about, but we think we can have fun and share that fun with you.

I’ve set myself the goal of writing three books in the first third of 2022. The first is a kaiju-themed children’s book. The second is the second volume of July 1963: A Pivotal Month in the Comic-Book Life of Tony Isabella. The third is the first in a series of books of my movie reviews with each volume having its own theme. I’ll be rewriting old reviews and writing new ones.

A further goal is to write the 48-page introductory issue for the new super-hero universe I’m creating. It’s unlike any super-hero universe you’ve ever seen. Once the issue is written, I’ll look for artists and publishers. If I win the lottery, I’ll self-publish it. I’ve set myself a July deadline for this.

I’m definitely open to paying comics writing gigs. On my schedule for the first few months of 2022 are several short horror stories. I will only be selling comic-book publication rights to these tales and retaining all other rights. I’ll also be seeking additional compensation should the publisher reprint my stories and, if said publisher should go out of business, the comic-book rights revert to me. That’s only fair.

Also in the first half of 2022, I’ll be writing the bible for this new TV series I’m creating for one of my Black Lightning friends. I’m know the chances of my selling such a series are low, but it’s something I think is worthwhile. I’ll also be following up on the pitch I wrote for a Black Lightning spin-off that’s...here is that phrase again...unlike any super-hero series you’ve even seen on TV or in the comics. If that pitch doesn’t get the green light, I’ll switch out the proprietary elements and develop it as a comic-book series or graphic novels.

I also be switching out proprietary elements from rejected pitches sent to DC Comics and Marvel Comics. I’ll work these pitches into their own things and see what I can do with them.

I know this sounds like an insane amount of work, but I’m tired of taking a back seat in the comics industry. If nothing else, when I pass, my heirs will have a trunk load of great ideas they sell to companies that like me better dead.

That was mostly positive, right?

Here are the things that made me happy in December...

December 1: The MAD Stocking Stuffer. This 96-page collection was a Giant Eagle impulse buy, but I’m enjoying the holiday heck out of it. Reprints or not, MAD continues to delight me.

December 2: Some Funko Christmas cheer for our mantle. It’s Batman as Ebenezer Scrooge. And now I know what I’d write if DC asked me to write a Batman Christmas story.

                                                                                 

 

December 3: Our other Funko holiday mantle piece is Wonder Woman with a string light lasso. Saintly Wife Barb has incorporated this figure and the Batman as Ebenezer Scrooge figure into our Christmas fireplace mantle display.

December 4: Despite my disturbing lack of funds, I’m further ahead on my holiday shopping than in any recent years within memory. If you don’t get a gift, it’s because you were naughty. If you do get a gift, you were really naughty. Cheers to all.

December 5: Saturday night monster flicks. I watched The Crawling Eye with my pal Svengoolie, followed by The Giant Gila Monster with Leopold and Lenore on The Big Bad B-Movie Show.

December 6: From Amazon, at around 9:45 this morning, I ordered a gift for a family member. It arrived at my front door three hours later. Does Amazon have a replicator and transporter? Is this Star Trek? What color shirt am I wearing?

                                                                           



December 7: From Funko Pop!, we have a new Christmas fairy for our mantle. Tinker Bell has long been one of my favorite Disney ladies. She deserves her own movie or, at least, a comic-book written by yours truly.

December 8: Medina’s The Exchange is part of a retail chain for new & used CDs & vinyl, plus movies, games & related collectibles. It has lots of cool stuff with a friendly and helpful staff. I think I’ll be visiting them more often.

December 9: Just call me Booster Old. I received my Moderna booster shot. My new vaccine nanobots are already making friends with my original vaccine nanobots, making my magnetic personality even more so. Science rules! Ignorance drools!

                                                                            


                                                                   

December 10: Jeffrey Brown’s Batman, Robin and Howard, a delightful DC Kids graphic novel. Brown portrays the two boys in a manner that rings true and Batman as a competent but sometimes befuddled dad. Great fun for all ages.

December 11: My 2022 New Year’s Resolutions are already in place. Three books in three months. I’ve started work on all three, but, having decided their order of completion, will concentrate on one a month starting in January.

December 12: Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. On December 22, I’ll be 70 years old. I never tire of people telling me I don’t look 70. Because most of the time I don’t feel 70. Especially when farts are involved. Then I’m 12.

                                                                               



December 13: Doubling as both host and musical guest, Billie Ellish was terrific on the December 11 Saturday Night Live. There were a number of great sketches on the show. Mark me down as entertained in Medina.

December 14: We’ve reached the semifinals of the two-week Jeopardy! Professors Tournament and the competition has been amazing from the start. I usually do pretty good playing at home, but these brainy contestants are leaving me in the dust.

December 15: Praise for comics artist Ron Garney from Keanu Reeves on the December 13 episode of The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.Garney is drawing the actor’s BRZRKR comic, which is co-written by Matt Kindt.

December 16: Malachi of Medina’s Holiday Hair. I’ve always gotten great haircuts from this fine establishment, but Malachi has kicked it up a notch for me. And given what he’s had to work with, he is remarkable. Thanks, sir.

                                                                                



December 17: The annual Holiday Herd Gathering. It’s always great to lunch with my brothers Bob Ingersoll, Roger Price and Thom “The Young One” Zahler, but especially near Christmas. May we enjoy many more of these.

December 18: For its last show of 2021, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert presented the animated cartoon “A Conspiracy Carol” wherein “Scrooge-Anon” - led by Ted Cruz and Marjorie Taylor Green - tried to “Stop the Sleigh.” It was brilliant and hilarious.

                                                                                



December 19: Spider-Man: No Way Home is a deep dive into the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Its story is complicated but compelling with amazing performances and surprising humor that offsets dark drama.Too intense for wee kids, but recommended to all others.

December 20: Saturday Night Live’s 2021 Christmas show. Paul Rudd, a couple cast members and guests, pre-taped sketches, some classic sketches, two musicians, limited crew, no audience. It was still a wonderful celebration of the holidays and SNL itself.

December 21: My transgender friends inspire me. Their courage. Their determination to live as their true selves. Their resilience. Their kindness to and support for one another. Knowing them makes me better.

                                                                                 

 

December 22: The Isabella Family now has the 2021 Disney Holiday Funko Pop! It’s Donald Duck, captured here before he’s discovered the Christmas tree lights are tangled and some of the bulbs aren’t working. Hilarity will ensue.

December 23: On my 70th birthday, which was yesterday, I was again reminded how many terrific friends I’ve made through my comics and online activities, and from all walks of life. It remains the best present I could have received.

December 24: I wasn’t happy to go to the Brecksville MetroHealth ER yesterday with an inflammation of my right knee, but I did receive excellent care from the nurses and techs there. We’ll speak of the physician’s assistant another time.

December 25: Christmas at my brother Ernie’s. My goddaughter/niece Kara got married three weeks ago in Copenhagan and we finally got to meet her husband Nik. She’s terrific. He’s terrific. They make a terrific couple.


                                                                             



December 26: Jeopardy champion Amy Schneider has continued 2021's run of truly incredible contestants. She’s fun, inspirational and relatable. My wife and I are definitely on Team Amy.

December 27: Groo Meets Tarzan by Sergio Aragones, Mark Evanier and Thomas Yeates. Lots of laugh out loud moments in these four issues. Downside. I can’t get invited to Comic-Con even when it’s fictional and in a comic book by friends of mine.

                                                                                



December 28: Stan Lee. The characters he created or co-created. His stories. His amazing dialogue. The conversations we had over the years. The things I learned from him. I believe I owe more to him than any other person in my life. Excelsior!

December 29: Fly Me to the Moon by Kenjiro Hata. In this manga’s fourth book, the romance between married virgins Nasa and Tsukasa is even cuter and sweeter on the road and in the borrowed apartment they must live in when their building burns down.

December 30: Amazon Customer Service Representative Melanie. There was a problem with a gift card I had purchased last month. It took just ten minutes from when I began chatting online with her for her to resolve the problem. Well done.

December 31: CSI Vegas delivered a mostly satisfying ending to its first revival season. I say “mostly” because I wanted the villain to suffer more. Great performances all around and I’m now invested in the new regulars.

Here’s wishing all of my readers a happy and prosperous 2022. May you and yours be safe.

May those trying to destroy democracy meet defeat in all their vile attempts. As Jor-El said, “They can be a great people, Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way.”

May we all be that light. I’ll be back soon.

© 2022 Tony Isabella




2 comments:

  1. Um, Tony, you do know there are already several (direct-to-video) Tinker Bell movies, don't you?

    https://youtu.be/FWZcZsCXcDQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I have been made aware of that. I plan to check some of them out soon on Disney+. Any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete