Saturday, August 24, 2013

AUGUST 23-25 GARAGE SALE UPDATE #6

This weekend’s astonishing Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale
will continue today and tomorrow at 840 Damon Drive, Medina, Ohio.
Garage sale hours are 9 am to 1 pm each day.


Friday was one of the best sale days I’ve had all year with happy
customers buying several hundred comic books and other great items.
It was good to see so many familiar faces again.

And it wasn’t just my customers who got terrific stuff yesterday.
Robert Petersen, my bloggy thing senior India correspondent, gave
me two English-language graphic novels from his latest trip to that
country.  I’ll be reading and writing about them soon.

Then the multi-talented Leslie Feagan brought me a View-Master 3-D
dimensional viewer and Godzilla cartoon discs to go with it.  I’ll
be enjoying this after this weekend’s service at the First Church
of Godzilla.  All praise the Great Scaly One who protects us with
his fiery atomic love.  It can be and often is a tough love, but we
have only our own folly to blame for that. 

Because I sold so much stuff yesterday, I mounted an expedition to
my secret Fortress of Storage to bring back about a dozen boxes of
comic books and other goodies.  It was grueling hauling out boxes
in 84-degree temperatures, but I wanted to make sure I had plenty
of wonderful things for today’s garage sale customers.

The quarter comic books are again filled.  The new additions are a
mix of “name-brand” titles and old favorites like Judge Dredd and
Journey.  Once the sun comes up this morning and I can see what I’m
doing, I’ll be restocking the magazine and trade paperback boxes as
well.  Definitely worth checking out.

They won’t be offered for sale this weekend, but I found a box of
strange collectible card sets from the 1980s.  Things like a set of
Scott Shaw’s Oddball Comics cards, historical/political card sets,
vintage magazine cover sets and more.  These are going to be tough
to part with, but, once I’ve researched their value online, some of
them will be available in future garage sales. 

That’s one of the joys of these garage sale.  I make some money and
I get to see the smiling faces of my well-pleased customers, but I
also find cool stuff for myself.  My four decades working in comics
has been rewarding in so very many ways.

The latest weather reports predict a sunny day with temperatures in
the 63 to 75-degree range.  It should be a pleasant day, though it
might get a little warm in my garage. 

Look for another garage sale update tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment