Tuesday, November 6, 2018

GRAND RAPIDS COMIC-CON (November 9-11)

My penultimate comics convention appearance of the year will be the always glorious Grand Rapids Comic-Con. The event will take place Friday through Sunday, November 9-11, at the DeVos Place in Grand Rapids, Michigan. This convention has become one of my favorites. It’s incredibly well run with dozens of great guests, a fantastic program and terrific vendors. I almost feel sorry for the legion of fans who will be attending this event because, throughout the con, they will making touch choices as to what programs to attend, what guests they want to meet and what choice comics and other wonders they will spend their money on. Here’s a quick hint: there won’t be any bad choices. Just be you, enjoy the things you love, and you’ll have a wonderful time.

The convention’s website lists two dozen media guests. Among them is Ricou Browning, who played the Creature from the Black Lagoon. That’s someone I want to meet and talk to, too. Other media guests include Walter Koenig, John Ratzenberger, Doug Jones and Highlander Adrian Paul. While I may not know all about the other media guests, I know enough to know many fans will be thrilled to have a chance to meet them, get their autographs and maybe a picture with them.

There are at least two dozen comics guests: Kevin Eastman, Michael Golden, Arvell Jones, Mike Grell, James Tynion IV, Joyce Chin, Steve Orlando, Agnes Garbowska, Renee Witterstaetter, Matt Haley, Robert Pope, Thom Zahler, Dirk Manning, K. Lynn Smith, Jason Moore, Scott Rosema, Comfort and Love, Douglas Paszkiewicz, Seth Damoose, Randy Zimmerman, Dan Monroe and representative from Michigan-based publishers Source Point Press and Caliber Comics.

There are literary guests like the super Shea Fontana of DC Super Hero Girls, a favorite of mine. There are cosplay guests and even YouTube guests like the amazing Harp Twins. Not to mention dozens of talented folks in Artist Alley.

Other events: a short film festival, a Grindhouse movie festival, a car show, an art show, a Hall of Heroes Museum exhibit, an anime room, events for kids and more. Expect to see lots of knock your eyes out cosplay throughout the weekend.

Every day of the Grand Rapids Comic-Con will give fans a choice of dozens of interviews, panels and other programming. I’ll be on two panels during the weekend.

On Friday in Grand Gallery E-F at 4 pm, I’ll be a participant on Joyce Chin’s Breaking In and Staying In The Entertainment Industry. Along with Joyce, Steve Orlando and Agnes Garbowska, we’ll discuss being “discovered” in mainstream entertainment, the importance of first chances within the field and how to stay relevant within your chosen love and profession. Beyond my obvious answers of “staying alive” and “not going away no matter how much they want you to,” I hope to offer some of the hard-won wisdom I’ve acquired over my 46 years in comics.

On Sunday on the Main Stage at 12:15 pm, I’ll be giving a talk on Black Lightning and My Road To Diversity. To quote from the show’s website:

The creator of Black Lightning (now a hit series on the CW) and Misty Knight (who appears in Netflix’s Luke Cage and other Marvel TV series), talks about the career path that led him to seek out writing assignments on characters of color and to create characters like Black Lightning and Misty Knight. You’ll learn secrets behind comics as Tony talks about his career and answers your questions.

When I’m not on a panel or wandering around the convention hanging out with old friends, making new ones and buying stuff, I’ll be at Booth 540 selling and signing Tony Isabella stuff. At this time, I am planning to bring:

Black Lightning: Cold Dead Hands
Black Lightning Volume One
Black Lightning Volume Two
July 1963: A Pivotal Month in the Comic-Book Life of Tony Isabella Volume One
Black Lightning posters (three different ones)
Hawkman poster
Daredevil and Luke Cage mini-posters.

I do charge for my signature. Here’s my policy...

Any items purchased from me: no charge.

Any one item not purchased from me: no charge.

Additional items: $5 each.

Items signed in front of a grading company witness: $10 each.

Photos are free.


I’m looking forward to seeing my bloggy thing readers and my other fans and friends at the Grand Rapids Comic-Con. Trust me. You will have a wonderful time at this event.

******************************

My final appearance of the year will be at the 2018 Great American Comic Convention, Saturday and Sunday, November 17-18, at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas. Saintly Wife Barbara will be coming to this event with me. I’ll have much more to say about on Monday, but, in the meantime, check out the show’s website.

There is a lot of stuff going on in the world of Tony Isabella and, unfortunately, it means you won’t be getting regular bloggy things until after Thanksgiving. After Thanksgiving, I’ll be home for two solid months, finishing a couple of books and developing a brand-new super-hero universe. I’m looking forward to having the time to do what I love best. I think you’ll be pleased with what you read.

That’s all for now. Look for my next bloggy thing on November 12. See you then.

© 2018 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment