Monday, July 25, 2016

MONSTERFEST MANIA (July 29-30)

From the same fine folks who bring you the amazing Akron Comicon, Monsterfest Mania has its premiere outing on Friday, July 29, and Saturday, July 30, at the University of Akron’s Quaker Station. As with Akron Comicon, this will be a family-friendly show with that friendliness extending to the ticket prices: $10 on Friday, $15 on Saturday, $20 for both days. Children under the age of 13 are free. Parking is also free. The show hours are 5-10 pm on Friday and 10 am to 6 pm on Saturday. I’ll be there both days.

The headline guest is the great Basil Gogos, the acclaimed artist who created the most beloved Famous Monsters of Filmland covers of the past. Joining him will be Lisa Loring, who played Wednesday on The Addams Family television series, and Felix Silla, the actor and stuntman who played Cousin Itt on the show. The show’s other guests include artists, authors, historians, horror movie hosts, masters of props, special effects creators and more. Convention events include a costume/make-up contest, horror/sci-fi movie screenings, panel presentations and more.

I’m scheduled to appear on one panel on Saturday at noon:

Ghoulardi Tribute Panel

Presented by Michael Monahan and Mike Olzsewski

Ernie Anderson’s crazy beatnik alter ego, Ghoulardi, was more than a horror host. He was more than a local television celebrity. Ghoulardi was a social movement.

Hot on the heels of the Cuban Missile Crisis and the British Beatle Invasion, Ghoulardi exploded on the scene like a cultural boom-boom. Over 50 years later, Cleveland is still picking up the pieces.

Join a panel of expert Ghoul-ga-teers as they discuss Ghoulardi’s unprecedented appeal and his lasting influence in the most highly-anticipated event since The Parma International Piano Music Playing Contest.


I’m one of those experts, though, truth be told, I was just one of tens of thousands of Cleveland kids to whom Ghoulardi was like unto a god. I’ll be talking about the impact he had on me and how it has shaped my comics work and more.

The rest of the convention?

When I’m not checking out other panels, meeting the other guests, or visiting with old friends like Ted Sikora and Chris Yambar, I’ll be at table G8. No relation to the pulp magazine hero who, with his Battle Aces, flew the skies to fight America’s enemies wherever he found them.

While at my table, I’ll be answering questions, selling stuff and signing autographs. I’m still figuring exactly what I’m bringing to the convention, but it’ll certainly include Black Lightning Volume 1 (which collects my first Black Lightning series from the 1977), an assortment of other Isabella-written items, the double-sided Superman poster I helped design for 1988's International Superman Expo in Cleveland and some other stuff.

Though comics remain my first fan and professional love, my second is the B monster movies of the past and the present. I am excited about Monsterfest Mania and hope to see you there.

******************************

Due to family and work responsibilities, I have had to cancel some of my 2016 appearances. Here’s the current schedule:

Wednesday, August 3: Euclid Library (Ohio)

Sunday, August 14: Neo Comic Con (Strongsville)

Saturday, October 1: Cleveland Comic Con 2016

Sunday, October 2: Cleveland Comic Con 2016

Friday, October 21: Grand Rapids Comic-Con

Saturday, October 22: Grand Rapids Comic-Con

Sunday, October 23: Grand Rapids Comic-Con

Saturday, November 5: Akron Comic Con

Sunday, November 6: Akron Comic Con

Unless those aforementioned work responsibilities take me to other events, I won’t be adding any other appearances to this schedule. I am open to discussing 2017 appearances.

If you’re a convention promoter who is interested in bringing me to your event, email me. If you’re a fan who would love to see me at a convention near you, contact the promoter of that convention and ask him or her to get in touch with me.

That’s all for now. I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment