Monday, July 18, 2016

PULPFEST 2016 (July 21-24)

I’m writing this before I leave for G-Fest (July 15-17). Assuming there wasn’t some sort of Kaiju Rapture which carried me skyward to Godzilla Heaven, I have three days before I drive down to Columbus for Pulpfest 2016.

PulpFest 2016 is Thursday, July 21 through Sunday, July 24, at the Hyatt Regency Columbus in Columbus, Ohio. It’s a fun gathering for fans of pulp magazines and much more. There is a large dealers room filled with magazines, paperbacks, new pulp fiction, comic books, etc. There will be panels, films, auctions and other presentations.While I have an interest in most of the above, my main reason for attending PulpFest every year is to see dear friends like Anthony “Tex” Tollin, Will Murray, Ron Fortier, Rob Davis and others. It’s a relaxing show for me.

This year’s Guest of Honor is author and editor Ted White. I first got to “know” Ted when he was editing Amazing Stories and Fantastic during the 1970s. He also wrote a Captain America novel, The Great Gold Steal, back in the day. We’ve exchanged messages a few times over the decades, but I don’t think I ever got to meet him face-to-face. I’m looking forward to that.

There are also some panels I’m looking forward to over the weekend, especially if I can stay awake for the evening ones:

Thursday, July 21:

9:10-9:55 PM: Street & Smith’s Second Stringers — The Whisperer and The Skipper (Will Murray)

Friday, July 22:

8:45–9:30 PM: AMAZING STORIES: The First Science-Fiction Pulp (Joseph Coluccio, president of the Pittsburgh Area Fantasy and Science Fiction Club)

9:40–10:20 PM: A Century of the Specialty Pulp: LOVE STORY MAGAZINE and the Romance Pulp Phenomenon (Laurie Powers)

10:30–11:15 PM: A Century of the Specialty Pulp: WESTERN STORY MAGAZINE and the Evolution of the Pulp Western (Will Murray)

Saturday, July 23:

3:00–3:50 PM: Ten Years in The Shadow’s Sanctum: Anthony Tollin’s Sanctum Books (with Will Murray)

7:30–8:15 PM: Our Guest of Honor (Ted White, editor emeritus of AMAZING STORIES)

As I said above, PulpFest is my chance to just kick back and relax. I usually bring a small stack of books and magazines I haven’t been able to read at home. I get together with Columbus area friends I do not see often enough. This year, after going through a couple of rough patches, I plan to take time to figure out what I want to be when I grow up and important life issues like that. I also plan to borrow Sainted Wife Barb’s laptop computer with me in an experiment to see if I can start doing a few hours of work each day when I’m at conventions. Obviously, for me, this whole relaxing business is not an exact science.

Many of my friends will be San Diego this week/weekend attending the always amazing Comic-Con International. Some of them have asked if I’ll be there. One or two have told me they know I’m coming as part of some secret announcement. If that’s the case, it’s so darn secret nobody’s told me about it.

I’ll be in Columbus this weekend. Not San Diego.

Maybe next year.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff. 
   
© 2016 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment