Monday, May 16, 2016

EAST COAST BLACK AGE OF COMICS CONVENTION

The East Coast Black Age of Comics Convention doesn’t get the props it deserves from the comics news media. Both sides should reach out to one another to change that. Today’s bloggy thing is my attempt to spread the word. From the organization website:

ECBACC Inc., a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, presents The East Coast Black Age of Comics Convention, America's premiere Black comic book convention encouraging youth literacy and expression through reading, writing and drawing comic books.

I’m a guest at this year’s event.

ECBACC is one of my favorite conventions,  dedicated to comics and creativity by, featuring and for people of color. I'm honored and  grateful to have been accepted so warmly by this great community.

The event starts with the 15th Annual ECBACC reception and the 11th annual Glyph Awards ceremony on Friday night, May 20, at 6 pm, at the African-American Museum, 701 Arch Street. To quote Wikipedia:

The Glyph Comics Awards recognize the best in comics made by, for, and about people of color from the preceding calendar year. While it is not exclusive to black creators, it does strive to honor those who have made the greatest contributions to the comics medium in terms of both critical and commercial impact. By doing so, the goal is to encourage more diverse and high quality work across the board and to inspire new creators to add their voices to the field.
  
ECBACC itself is on Saturday, May 21, 11 am to 7 pm, at the Enterprise Center, 4548 Market Street. I’ll be selling Black Lightning Volume One and, if past ECBACCs are any indication, spending whatever I make from my sales with the other creators exhibiting at the show.

This year’s guest list includes Eric Battle, Jerry Craft, Professor William Foster III, N. Steven Harris, Jamar Nicholas, Alex Simmons and many others. I’m looking forward to seeing all these creators. Likewise, I’m excited for the opportunity to discover and meet creators with whose work I’m not as familiar. ECBACC has always been a learning experience and I’m doing my homework before I arrive at the event.

I’ll be appearing on a writers panel - Writing Challenges and How to Break Them - at 11:15 am. The moderator is that terrific writer and dear friend Alex Simmons. Also on the panel are authors Regine Sawyer and Milton Days.

My son Ed will be arriving sometime on Friday afternoon. If there are no last-minute surprises, we’ll be attending the Glyph Awards ceremony that evening. I think Eddie will be joining me on Saturday as well, but that depends on whether or not any of his college pals are in town.

If you’re attending ECBACC and wish to interview me for a podcast or any other purpose, I’ll do my best to accommodate you. Contact me by e-mail and we can set something up in advance.

While I’m behind my table, I’m happy to sign any book, comic book or magazine I worked on. There is no charge for my signature, but, on the off-chance there’s a line at my table and you have a large number of items for me to sign, I might sign a few and ask you to come back in a bit to get the rest signed.

As always, cosplayers dressed as characters I created or worked on are most welcome. I’ll pose with you for as many photos as your camera or other device can handle before it cries for relief from having to look at me.

The weekend can’t get here soon enough for me.

******************************

Here’s a quick Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale update. This past weekend, Ed cleaned out the garage and we worked out a basic floor plan for the sales. During the week, we’ll make trips to the Fortress of Storage to get the boxes of sale items from my previous garage sale.

If this goes as planned, I’ll start putting together a whole bunch of my famous five-dollar bargain boxes. The idea is to clear out a lot of old stock to make way for new stock.

If all of the above goes as planned, we’re looking at doing a soft opening over the Memorial Day weekend. This will only be announced online and on Craig’s List. Dates and times to be determined once I figure out my holiday weekend schedule.

The first official Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sale will be  Friday, June 3, Saturday, June 4, and maybe Sunday, June 5. Times to be announced. This sale will be advertised online and on Craig’s List and in the local newspaper.

I’ll have more on the garage sales next week.

I’ll be back tomorrow with more stuff.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

No comments:

Post a Comment