Sunday, May 8, 2016

THINGS THAT PISS ME OFF (April 2016)

Every other month, on my Facebook page and on Twitter, I post about things that piss me off. I write and post one such item each day. If I fall behind, I post more than one until I catch up. People so seem to enjoy my pain and annoyance, so, as soon as possible after the end of a month of these posts, I collect them for this bloggy thing of mine. Here are the TTPMO items for April with occasional additions and edits...

April 1: People who put me on a pedestal. You can break something falling off one of those.

April 2: “Christians” who claim to be persecuted even as they work to strip others of their rights.

April 3: Republicans who act like the black guy should only get 3/5 of his second presidential term.

April 4: “Rachel from Cardholder Services.” When I become leader of the world, I will launch drone strikes on her and other scammers.

April 5: When my Democratic candidates and/or their supporters get nasty. I’ll proudly cast my vote for either of them. Consider the Republican alternative and grow the fuck up.

April 6: No “It! The Living Colossus!” movie on Marvel’s schedule. A great character has been taken for granite.

April 7: Ayn Rand and her creepy followers. Moral cripples who are terrible at both government and entertainment. I’m looking at you, Zack Snyder!

April 8: Endless fan debates over who created what. If you weren’t there in the room, it’s hearsay. Just enjoy and celebrate the work.

April 9: North Carolina and Mississippi and Missouri. ‘Nuff said.

April 10: Snow in April. This is why my Vast Accumulation of Stuff garage sales won’t start until the first weekend in June.

April 11: Jesse Watters of Fox News. He’s the vile Bill O’Reilly’s disgusting flunky. I don’t encourage violence, but I won’t shed any tears when someone finally makes this asswipe eat his microphone.

April 12: Superman without his bright colors and red trunks. He just doesn’t look like Superman without them.

April 13: Asking me to like your page or plug your project within nano-seconds of my accepting your friend request. It feels like you just want to use me.

April 14: No “white hat” law enforcement agencies in today’s comic books. Remember when we used to trust Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D.?

April 15: I miss the Watcher. That whole “Man on the Wall” crapola wasn’t worth Uatu’s life.

April 16: Desperate, over-zealous pitchmen at comics conventions. You’re embarrassing yourself and the other creators at the event. Didn’t you see how we were all looking at you? It was with pity and disgust, but mostly disgust.

April 17: A woman who flipped through my “Isabella-written comics” box at a recent convention loudly intoning “Never heard of that” as she did. She never heard of Daredevil, Ghost Rider, or Spider-Man. She had heard of Star Trek. An hour later, she brought her teenage son to the table to buy him the Star Trek comic. The rude apple did not fall far from the tree.

April 18: Reading a great comic from the 1970s/1980s and realizing no editor is calling the great writer or artist who did that comic.

April 19: Convention centers and hotels that aren’t worthy of the conventions which they host. I wrote about it here.

April 20: The crushing despair I feel when I look at our political system and wonder if it can ever be fixed.

April 21: People who define “diversity in comics” as “not including DC and Marvel.” They should invest in a dictionary.

April 22: History-challenged idiots who bitch about Harriet Tubman replacing Andrew Jackson on the $20 bill. She was an American hero who rescued hundreds from slavery. He was a committed slaver and a corrupt politician who committed genocide against Native Americans. We’re definitely trading up.

April 23: The Big Bang Theory writers don’t know what to do with comics shop owner Stewart. Their default move is to always have him bullied by the other characters.

April 24: The phrase “blackface for nerds.” It’s ignorant and it’s racist. Congratulations, you’re a jerk twice over.

April 25: Organizations which don’t deal with sexual harassment in a serious, timely manner. Individuals who don’t think they can do anything about this.

April 26: The killing or removal of strong women characters from TV shows that should know better. Their fans certainly do.

April 27: That I don’t have time or energy to read or watch all the cool stuff people tell me I should read or watch.

April 28: That I have to stop and think about the best way to rise from my favorite couch to minimize pain in my joints.

April 29: Renewal by Andersen. A window replacement outfit that not only sends me lots of junk mail, but now sends its goons to my door every week to try to sell me its product.

April 30: That right-wingers in my country are so relentlessly vile in their bigotry.
 
That’s all for now, but I’ll be revisiting a couple of these items in greater detail soon.

I’ll be back tomorrow with monster movie reviews, followed later in the week by my Free Comic Book Day report, a Rawhide Kid Wednesday episode, TV series reviews and more.

© 2016 Tony Isabella

1 comment: