Sunday, October 4, 2015

PITILESS PARODIES AND OTHER OUTRAGEOUS VERSE

Welcome to the first of what I hope will be regular mini-blogs on books, comics and other items I’ve enjoyed. These won’t be actual reviews. I’ll be lifting most of the descriptions from Amazon and back cover copy and the like. Consider them quick alters to stuff I think you might enjoy as well.

Pitiless Parodies and Other Outrageous Verse by Frank Jacobs [Dover Publications; 1994] is only available on the secondary market, but someone should really publish a new edition, maybe expanding on its current 80-page length by adding illustrations by MAD cartoonists and others. Here’s the Amazon blurb:

Superb send-ups of classic poetry and the contemporary scene by the zany humorist, including some reprinted from Mad Magazine. Includes skewered versions of "Kubla Khan," "Oh, Captain, My Captain," "Trees" and "My Last Duchess," parody recipes, the "Zoo's Who" and take-offs on Mother Goose and sports heroes.

ISBN 0-486-28126-4

No comments:

Post a Comment