Tuesday, October 13, 2015

TREMORS 5: BLOODLINES

Another mini-blog...

Tremors 5: Bloodlines [Universal Studios; $22.98] was released last week. It was a must-have purchase for me. The first Tremors movie is one of my favorites. To varying degrees, I have enjoyed all the Tremors movies and the tragically short-lived TV series. I love the series so much that, after the second movie, I tried to get comics publishers to license Tremors so that I could write a Tremors comic book. If I can locate my Tremors pitch, I’ll run it in the bloggy thing in the near future. If I can’t locate the pitch, I’ll do my best to recreate it for you. But I digress.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with the Tremors series, the main monsters are the graboids. The giant worm-like creatures live underground and travel through soil as if it were water. They have three snake-like heads that come out of their mouths to grab prey. They track their prey through vibrations.

The graboids give birth to shriekers, which travel above ground and sense their prey by heat. The shriekers give birth to ass-blasters, essentially shriekers that can fly by farting fire. Completing the circle of life, the ass-blasters give birth to more graboids. All this is explained in the opening of Tremors 5 in a kind of sort of charming educational video.

Michael Gross has emerged as *the* star of the Tremors franchise. He plays survivalist Burt Gummer and he’s been fighting creatures since the first movie. He’s gotten older, but he’s in surprisingly good shape and just as determined/ornery as ever. He’s a delight. This time around, he’s been brought to South Africa to deal with an outbreak of graboid carnage. The South African version is a bigger and more deadly version of the North American variety.

This being a mini-blog, here’s my mini-review.

The first half of the movie moves way too slow, but it picks up in the second half. Lots of action. Lots of humorous bits with Gummer grossing about his lack of sufficient firepower and critical need-to-know intel. Exciting creature encounters. A surprising reveal. A satisfying ending. It’s a fun movie and that’s all I ever expect from a Tremors movie. It gets my recommendation.

I’ll be back soon with more stuff.

© 2015 Tony Isabella

1 comment:

  1. I've always been a huge Tremors fan (good horror plus good comedy is always a winning combination in my book), and I think this was my favorite Tremors movie since the original. One of my favorite parts was at the end, with the clips from Burt Gummer's reality show; if that was a real show, it would be the only reality show I'd ever watch.

    ReplyDelete