Thursday, February 27, 2014

I DON'TKNOW WHAT I WAS THINKING LAST BLOGGY THING

Man, when I screw up...

In my bloggy thing on Halloween and Prom Night, I wrote this:

"When I caught Kelly up on the film’s plot, she said it sounded like a rip-off of I Know What You Did Last Summer (1997).  I told her - incorrectly - that Prom Night had come first.  I’ve repeated this erroneous claim since.  My penance will be to watch I Know What You Did Last Summer, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer (1998) and the direct-to-DVD I'll Always Know What You Did Last Summer (2006). I am an obsessive old coot..."

I blame the lingering effects of whatever crazy flu has been attacking me for a couple weeks now.

While it's true that the Lois Duncan novel on which the movie I Know What You Did Last Summer was published in 1973 and thus came out before Prom Night, the movie was not made until nearly two decades later.  Moreover, according to Wikipedia, the movie was very different from the novel, which was not a slasher novel.  The movie owes far more to the campfire legend of "the Hook," which I first heard on a weekend camping trip when I was eight or nine years old.

Sorry for my confusion and my thanks to reader Dave Ziegler for pointing this out.  Unfortunately, my penance for this error will still be to eventually watch all three movies in the I Know What You Did Last Summer series.  Because I'm insane.

Be thankful they keep sharp objects away from me.

© 2014 Tony Isabella 


2 comments:

  1. "Prom Night" with Jamie Lee Curtis came out in 1980, so you were correct, flu or no flu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The saddest thing is that I wasn't even taking any really terrific medication that could have explained my error. It was just plain boneheaded.

    ReplyDelete